Man attacked by teenage burglars
PUBLISHED: 17:19 04 April 2007 | UPDATED: 10:17 31 May 2010
THREE teenagers who attacked a man with an air rifle, hammer, crutch and knife during a burglary last year have been sentenced at Chelmsford Crown Court. On Friday, the youths were each sentenced to serve two years in a young offenders institution and a
THREE teenagers who attacked a man with an air rifle, hammer, crutch and knife during a burglary last year have been sentenced at Chelmsford Crown Court.
On Friday, the youths were each sentenced to serve two years in a young offenders' institution and a further teenager was tagged for three months and placed on curfew.
Det Sgt Bev Fenning of Saffron Walden CID, said: "When young people commit crime in Saffron Walden it will be dealt with seriously and in this case the sentence delivered by the court reflects the seriousness of the crime.
"The community should be reassured by this result."
At about 12.30am on August 28 last year the gang forced their way into a property on Saffron Walden High Street and assaulted a man in his 50s before fleeing with an undisclosed amount of cash.
The victim suffered a back injury and a wound to the top of his head that required three stitches. Another occupant, a woman in her 20s, was uninjured in the incident.
Shortly after the attack police arrested four youths. Three were charged with aggravated burglary, another was charged with handling stolen goods and a 22-year-old Wimbish man was released without charge.
During the arrest, police recovered an air rifle, a hammer, a crutch and a knife from the suspects.
All three teenagers pleaded guilty to charges of aggravated burglary.
The judge decided that despite the fact one of them was not yet 18, Saffron Walden people should be aware of who was involved.
They were Matthew Cannon, 18, of Walden Road in Hadstock; Charles Pretlove, 17, or Elder Street in Wimbish and Carl Hooper, 18, of Longhorse Croft in Saffron Walden.
Edwin Booth, 18, of Castle Hill, Saffron Walden, pleaded guilty to handling stolen goods and was tagged for three months, as well as being placed under a close supervision order and curfew.
Insp Kevin Wakefield said: "This was a very serious incident, which was clearly the judgment of the court, and we are glad it has been brought to a successful conclusion in court.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box below for details.