Man is rescued from fire in flat above Saffron Walden shop Blue

PUBLISHED: 11:05 28 December 2016 | UPDATED: 15:20 29 December 2016

A fire has broken out at Blue in King Street, Saffron Walden

A fire has broken out at Blue in King Street, Saffron Walden

Archant

Two men rescued a tenant from his Saffron Walden flat after a fire broke out yesterday morning (December 28).

A fire has broken out at Blue in King Street, Saffron WaldenA fire has broken out at Blue in King Street, Saffron Walden

It is understood the two heroes made their way upstairs to the flat, in King Street, to rescue the man from the flames.

The man, believed to be in his 40s, was treated at the scene by paramedics before being taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge suffering from smoke inhalation.

His condition is not thought to be life-threatening.

Firefighters were called to the blaze, which broke out above women’s clothing boutique Blue, at 10.06am.

Fire at Blue in King Street, Saffron Walden, on December 28, 2016. Photo: ArchantFire at Blue in King Street, Saffron Walden, on December 28, 2016. Photo: Archant

Smoke could be seen billowing out from the top floor of the two-storey building, and the road was closed while emergency services dealt with the incident.

Two fire crews from Saffron Walden and Newport attended along with one rapid response vehicle and one ambulance from the East of England Ambulance Service.

Firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, entered the property and managed to put out the fire by 10.41am.

After the blaze was extinguished, crews stayed to ventilate the building, which has suffered extensive damage.

The fire attracted a large crowd of onlookers, with many shoppers stopping to watch the drama unfold.

Sophie Payton, an onlooker who was staying at the Cross Keys Hotel and was alerted to the commotion, said: “We heard the fire engine and saw a lot of thick smoke coming out of the window, and people were running up and down the stairs.

“It took them quite a while to put it out – I was in the splash zone. They said it was explosion from the bed or something.”

A spokeswoman for Essex Fire and Rescue Service said: “When crews arrived they reported one male occupant had already been rescued by members of the public.

“The flat has suffered extensive damage by the fire and is inhabitable.

“The male occupant suffered smoke inhalation and was left in the care of the ambulance service.”

The spokesman added that the cause of the fire had been recorded as accidental.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter