Man jailed for raping young boy
- Credit: Archant
A MAN has been jailed after being convicted of raping a young boy when he was a teenager.
Gavin Randall, 29, of Kingsway, Cambridge, abused the boy at an address in the city at some point between 1998 and 2001. The boy, who was about 10 at the time of the offence, went to police in September 2011 to report the assault.
Randall was arrested and charged with rape in June last year.
He denied the offence but was convicted following a trial at Cambridge Crown Court last month.
He was jailed for three years on Tuesday (April 9) and was given a 10-year Sexual Offences Prevention Order banning him from having unsupervised contact with anyone under 16.
You may also want to watch:
Detective Sergeant Jo Crisall, investigating officer, said: “The victim in this case showed great bravery in coming forward to police after such a long time. He gave very strong evidence at court and ensured his abuser has now been brought to justice.
“This case shows how seriously we take such offences, no matter what the circumstances or age of those involved. I would encourage anyone who is a victim of historical abuse to contact police.”
- 1 The number of Indian variant Covid cases in Uttlesford
- 2 Saffron Walden young triathletes dominate at national qualifier
- 3 Tools collection is a huge success
- 4 District heroes named in Queen's Birthday Honours list
- 5 Bronze Age and Roman treasures go on display at museum
- 6 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 7 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 8 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 9 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 10 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues