Man jailed for three years after making a bomb hoax on board a plane
- Credit: Archant
A man has been jailed for three years for endangering an aircraft.
Alan Patey, 49, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to making a bomb hoax. It happened whilst he was on board a Sri Lankan Airlines A330 Airbus which was flying from Sri Lanka to Heathrow on Friday, September 20.
As a result of his threats, the aircraft had to be diverted to Stansted Airport, causing inconvenience and distress to the passengers on board.
Essex Police officers boarded the plane once it had landed and arrested Patey and another 57-year-old man who was later released without charge. The other passengers had to travel onwards to Heathrow by coach.
Detective Chief Inspector Simon Werrett, Senior Investigating Officer from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “This was a traumatic incident for the pilot, the crew and passengers on flight UL 503 from Sri Lanka to the United Kingdom.
You may also want to watch:
“They not only had to be escorted from the plane for their own safety, but were naturally delayed in reaching their final destination. The courage of the pilot and his crew should be highlighted in the calm professional way they dealt with the situation believing there was a device on board.
“The sentence today reflects the actions of Mr Patey and should act as a deterrent to others considering similar actions.”
- 1 Further registrars speak out in wedding consultation row
- 2 Students share their views on school curriculum
- 3 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 4 Lana's efforts help to feed the community
- 5 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 6 Operation Trespass will highlight drugs gangs cuckooing efforts
- 7 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 8 First business to sponsor Walden's Dance in the Square 2021
- 9 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 10 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come