Man on trial for attempted rape of woman he met in Saffron Walden pub


- Credit: Archant

A book keeper has gone on trial at Chelmsford Crown Court accused of attempting to rape a Saffron Walden woman he met in a town centre pub.

Turkish born Yunus Cetin, 31, was visiting his brother in Saffron Walden at the time of the alleged offence in November 2013.

The court was told that Cetin had invited the 21-year-old and her friend back to his brother Yakin’s flat in Hilltop Lane, Saffron Walden.

The woman went along with him kissing her when the two of them were in a bedroom, but struggled and said “no” when he tried to take off her clothes. However, the Crown Court jury was told that despite this he carried on.

Cetin, from Istanbul who is still staying with his brother in Hilltop Lane, pleads not guilty to two offences of attempted rape, one offence of assault by penetration, and to one offence of attempted assault by penetration on November 17 2013.

Prosecutor Anthony Prosser told the jury of six men and six women that Cetin didn’t stop when the alleged victim told him to.

“She was very nearly raped,” said Mr Prosser.

Most Read

He continued: “The complainant says although she was naive to have got herself into that situation there came a point where she was clearly saying ‘no’ but the defendant persisted.”

He added that there was “no question” of Cetin not understanding her refusal and said that she was physically struggling against him.

Cetin, who is giving evidence through an interpreter, claims that they had full consensual sex for two to three hours.

In her videoed police interview the complainant states that she and her best friend were in The Temeraire pub that Saturday night and Cetin began talking to them. His English was not very good.

At 1.30am when the pub closed he invited them back to his brother’s flat. They all talked in the living room for a while and then her friend started to feel unwell and lay down on the sofa.

She and Cetin “chilled” in his room for a bit and he started kissing her, the jury heard.

“I was not totally unhappy with it,” the complainant said. “He was then trying to take off my top. I felt quite uncomfortable and asked him not to. He tried again at which point I let him because I thought for some reason if I let him do that it would not lead to anything more, which sounds stupid.”

The alleged victim said she said ‘no’ when Cetin tried to remove her jeans.

“I really asked him to stop. I was struggling. I felt like I had lost control of the situation and froze a bit because I didn’t really know what I was going to do to get out of that,” she said.

She claimed that she covered her private parts with her hand as Cetin tried to penetrate her with his fingers. He then laid on top of her and pinned her down, she said.

He tried to have sex with her as she continued to cover herself.

“I asked him to stop and said I really don’t want you to do this,” she said.

She continued: “He suddenly just rolled off and said ‘I am so sorry I shouldn’t have done that’. After not speaking a lot of English it was quite strange to say something like that.”

The court heard that her girlfriend came in, and the complainant, naked, grabbed her clothes, leaving behind her bra, knickers and one sock. They left the flat.

Outside she told her friend Cetin had tried to rape her. Her friend went back to the flat and slapped Cetin around the face, the court heard.

They rang a male friend to pick them up. It was about 4am. He saw the complainant upset and crying and called police.

Cetin, who was arrested at 6am that day, told police that while he was pouring them drinks the complainant’s friend slapped him on the bottom and he overheard the two of them talking about condoms.

He said he and the alleged victim had “full consensual sex for a considerable time” - two to three hours - until the friend came in and said they had to go. She dressed and left.

Cetin stated that one returned, stood there shaking her head at him but didn’t say anything and left again.

His brother told him they were going to complain to police.

The trial continues.