Man tackles blaze in airing cupboard
PUBLISHED: 16:19 03 May 2007 | UPDATED: 10:21 31 May 2010
A COUPLE were left homeless after a fire ravaged their Saffron Walden property on Tuesday morning. A fire crew from Saffron Walden went to the house in Doddenhill Close after receiving calls at 6.45am. The occupants of the house, a 27-year-old woman and a
A COUPLE were left homeless after a fire ravaged their Saffron Walden property on Tuesday morning.
A fire crew from Saffron Walden went to the house in Doddenhill Close after receiving calls at 6.45am.
The occupants of the house, a 27-year-old woman and a 33-year-old man, were uninjured, but the man was lucky not to be electrocuted.
Fire station officer Paul Curtis said: "When we arrived the whole of the upstairs was heavily smoke-logged and the front bedroom was ablaze.
"The couple said they'd been smelling smoke for some time, and the man had gone upstairs to investigate after his wife had left for work."
He said when the man opened the airing cupboard door a lot of smoke had come out, so he attempted to extinguish the fire by pouring water on it.
"Considering the fire could have been electrical in nature, he was lucky he wasn't electrocuted," said Mr Curtis.
"I can understand that he would have wanted to put it out, but really in that situation the best thing to do is to close the doors, get out and call us."
Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire, which took half an hour to get under control. The fire service remained on the scene until about 9.45am.
Mr Curtis said: "The whole upstairs was very badly damaged from the fire and smoke.
"The bedroom was really just a burnt-out shell.
"The downstairs also suffered serious water damage due to the efforts made to extinguish the fire."
The couple were rendered homeless by the blaze and are staying with relatives.
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in the airing cupboard.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.