Man uses sheets to escape blaze

PUBLISHED: 14:22 09 November 2006 | UPDATED: 09:58 31 May 2010

FIREFIGHTERS from Saffron Walden were involved in extinguishing two blazes during the past week. On Monday evening, a chimney fire in a house in Saffron Walden Road, Ashdon, was attended by fire crews from Saffron Walden and Linton. Smoke build-up on the

FIREFIGHTERS from Saffron Walden were involved in extinguishing two blazes during the past week.

On Monday evening, a chimney fire in a house in Saffron Walden Road, Ashdon, was attended by fire crews from Saffron Walden and Linton.

Smoke build-up on the first floor of the house meant firefighters had to wear breathing apparatus to tackle the fire.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service Divisional Officer Mark Samuels said: "We believe that this fire started because of the build-up of debris in the chimney stack over the summer."

A dry powder extinguisher was used to put out the flames, then a thermal imaging camera to confirm that heat levels had died down. Part of the house's hearth and chimney were removed in the process.

Mr Samuels said: "This fire highlights the need to make sure you chimney has been swept before you use it after a long break."

Last Thursday, a man fled from his upstairs bedroom after a fire broke out in his house in the early hours.

The man, from The Row, Hadstock, tied his bed sheets together to provide a safe passage to the ground.

A fire service spokesman said: "Firefighters arrived to find the occupier had escaped safely. Four firefighters extinguished the blaze."

Fire crews gave out free smoke detectors in the area as the house did not have a working smoke detector.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter