Man uses sheets to escape blaze

PUBLISHED: 14:22 09 November 2006 | UPDATED: 09:58 31 May 2010

FIREFIGHTERS from Saffron Walden were involved in extinguishing two blazes during the past week. On Monday evening, a chimney fire in a house in Saffron Walden Road, Ashdon, was attended by fire crews from Saffron Walden and Linton. Smoke build-up on the

FIREFIGHTERS from Saffron Walden were involved in extinguishing two blazes during the past week.

On Monday evening, a chimney fire in a house in Saffron Walden Road, Ashdon, was attended by fire crews from Saffron Walden and Linton.

Smoke build-up on the first floor of the house meant firefighters had to wear breathing apparatus to tackle the fire.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service Divisional Officer Mark Samuels said: "We believe that this fire started because of the build-up of debris in the chimney stack over the summer."

A dry powder extinguisher was used to put out the flames, then a thermal imaging camera to confirm that heat levels had died down. Part of the house's hearth and chimney were removed in the process.

Mr Samuels said: "This fire highlights the need to make sure you chimney has been swept before you use it after a long break."

Last Thursday, a man fled from his upstairs bedroom after a fire broke out in his house in the early hours.

The man, from The Row, Hadstock, tied his bed sheets together to provide a safe passage to the ground.

A fire service spokesman said: "Firefighters arrived to find the occupier had escaped safely. Four firefighters extinguished the blaze."

Fire crews gave out free smoke detectors in the area as the house did not have a working smoke detector.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter