Margaret Thatcher receives a tribute from a pub in Duxford
- Credit: Archant
A DUXFORD pub paid its respect to Margaret Thatcher by flying its flag at half mast.
The Wheatsheaf, on St. Peter’s Street, has a deep fondness of number 10 with one of its licensees feeling a close connection to the Iron Lady.
Licensees, Bruce & Jane Robertson, said: “It’s a sad day, Margaret Thatcher was an inspirational lady before her time. Later today customers and staff will gather around the flag to toast the Iron Lady.
Bruce was a product of the early Thatcher years, born in Dundee.
His father had just been made redundant so they decided to follow Margaret’s advice and relocated to Cambridge in search of work.
You may also want to watch:
Bruce said whilst he still loves his home town, it was the best decision that his father made. “Our respect for number 10 is well displayed within the Wheatsheaf but must be seen to be appreciated,” he said.
The Wheatsheaf, on St Peter’s Street, has recently been refurbished and on display you will find a bust of Sir Winston Churchill.
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 3 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 4 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 7 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 8 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 9 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 10 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
A fitting tribute will soon be added to the pub in remembrance to Margaret Thatcher.
The new look Wheatsheaf, which went through a refurbishment in November last year, also has a fresh, new menu which includes favourites such as Sausages and Mash as well as some seasonal European dishes.
The menu has been developed by Kevin Johnston, the Head Chef, and will be available Tuesday to Sunday’s, with special offers taking place throughout the week.