Margaret Thatcher receives a tribute from a pub in Duxford
- Credit: Archant
A DUXFORD pub paid its respect to Margaret Thatcher by flying its flag at half mast.
The Wheatsheaf, on St. Peter’s Street, has a deep fondness of number 10 with one of its licensees feeling a close connection to the Iron Lady.
Licensees, Bruce & Jane Robertson, said: “It’s a sad day, Margaret Thatcher was an inspirational lady before her time. Later today customers and staff will gather around the flag to toast the Iron Lady.
Bruce was a product of the early Thatcher years, born in Dundee.
His father had just been made redundant so they decided to follow Margaret’s advice and relocated to Cambridge in search of work.
Bruce said whilst he still loves his home town, it was the best decision that his father made. “Our respect for number 10 is well displayed within the Wheatsheaf but must be seen to be appreciated,” he said.
The Wheatsheaf, on St Peter’s Street, has recently been refurbished and on display you will find a bust of Sir Winston Churchill.
- 1 In pictures: Successful return of Walden's Late Night Christmas Shopping
- 2 In pictures: Santa's sleigh is in Saffron Walden
- 3 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 4 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 5 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 Essex drink driving figures revealed as police launch Christmas crackdown
- 9 Fire safety measures approved for Harlow council homes
- 10 Linton has festive fun lined up at annual Christmas market
A fitting tribute will soon be added to the pub in remembrance to Margaret Thatcher.
The new look Wheatsheaf, which went through a refurbishment in November last year, also has a fresh, new menu which includes favourites such as Sausages and Mash as well as some seasonal European dishes.
The menu has been developed by Kevin Johnston, the Head Chef, and will be available Tuesday to Sunday’s, with special offers taking place throughout the week.