Man who murdered his mother is sentenced
- Credit: Essex Police
A man who murdered his elderly mother in Wimbish has been jailed for at least 20 years.
Mark Jozunas, 49, stabbed 78-year-old Valerie Jozunas at their home in Tye Green, Wimbish on Sunday, March 1.
A spokesperson for Essex Police said: “Emergency services were called to the address after concerns for her welfare were reported to us, but, sadly, Valerie died at the scene despite the efforts of paramedics.
“A post-mortem examination gave her cause of death as severe blood loss from multiple stab wounds.”
Mark Jozunas was charged with her murder and convicted by a jury at Chelmsford Crown court on September 8.
You may also want to watch:
At the same court today (Friday, October 30), he was jailed for life with a minimum of 20 years.
Senior investigating officer, detective chief inspector Stephen Jennings, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “This was a tragic event in which Jozunas brutally took his mother’s life.
- 1 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 2 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 3 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 4 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 5 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 6 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 7 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 8 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month
- 9 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 10 Team Laptop launches to support children's learning
“I am pleased that justice has been served for Valerie, and hope this sentence will provide some solace for the family.”