Man who murdered his mother is sentenced
- Credit: Essex Police
A man who murdered his elderly mother in Wimbish has been jailed for at least 20 years.
Mark Jozunas, 49, stabbed 78-year-old Valerie Jozunas at their home in Tye Green, Wimbish on Sunday, March 1.
A spokesperson for Essex Police said: “Emergency services were called to the address after concerns for her welfare were reported to us, but, sadly, Valerie died at the scene despite the efforts of paramedics.
“A post-mortem examination gave her cause of death as severe blood loss from multiple stab wounds.”
Mark Jozunas was charged with her murder and convicted by a jury at Chelmsford Crown court on September 8.
You may also want to watch:
At the same court today (Friday, October 30), he was jailed for life with a minimum of 20 years.
Senior investigating officer, detective chief inspector Stephen Jennings, of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “This was a tragic event in which Jozunas brutally took his mother’s life.
- 1 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 2 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 3 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 4 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 5 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 6 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 7 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 8 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 9 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 10 Firefighters rescue woman after town centre collision
“I am pleased that justice has been served for Valerie, and hope this sentence will provide some solace for the family.”