Max inspires fundraising for specialist children’s cancer ward
A NEARLY-new sale which is aimed at raising money for a specialist children’s cancer ward has been inspired by a brave three-year-old boy.
The event is being organised in Great Chesterford by the family of Max Rowlandson who is six months into an ongoing three-year treatment for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia.
The youngster – who recently picked up a chrome trophy at the annual Cancer Research UK’s Little Star Awards for continuing to shine despite his ordeal – is currently enjoying a brief respite from his treatment at the C2 ward at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.
His mum Jodie Rowlandson said the nearly new sale is a way of paying something back to the ward.
“They have been brilliant to us and the support Max has received has been phenomenal,” she said. “People are sent from all over the country to the ward.
You may also want to watch:
“This sale is a way of promoting the ward and all the good work it does.”
The nearly new sale – called Max’s Sale – runs on Saturday March 5 from 10.30am to 1pm at the Great Chesterford Community Centre.
- 1 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 2 'We're not closing down day centres', says council
- 3 Libraries campaign group is concerned at consultation plan
- 4 Circuit star William Gilbank sets sights on professional sport
- 5 Essex Austin Seven Club takes in Saffron Walden on tour
- 6 Appeal to find Stansted teen, missing for five days
- 7 Cambs and Essex academy trust wins prestigious award
- 8 Saffron Walden triathletes doing themselves and their clubs proud at championships
- 9 More restrictions set to be scrapped in Boris Johnson's winter Covid plan
- 10 Saffron Walden all set for big green festival
Alongside raising money, there will also be a chance to grab some bargains with nearly new children’s clothes, toys, books and baby equipment on offer.
A raffle is being run with prizes donated by local businesses, including: �25 Modish voucher, aromatherapy massage from Esprit, cut & blow dry from Haircraft & JW Hairdressers, Petrus vouchers, �20 Jack’s voucher, Saffron Screen tickets, Sweet Shop goodies and a voucher for Dish.
And, if that wasn’t enough, there will also be a silent auction with lots including two gold tickets to see England play at Wembley, Tumbledowns pass, MOT from Treadfirst and an ‘odd job man’ for the day.
“So many local businesses have got involved and they have been fantastic,” added Jodie. “We are also quite overwhelmed by the response we have received - we’ve got so much stuff that Pretlove’s Removals have kindly donated a storage space until the sale takes place.”
A Facebook page - ‘Max’s Sale’ - has also been set up for the event. If you have any donations or would like more information contact Jodie on 07796 952 007.