Mayor leads Queen’s birthday celebrations in Saffron Walden
- Credit: Archant
Around 200 people joined in the Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations by lighting a beacon to mark the occasion on Saffron Walden Common last night (April 21).
Town mayor Heather Asker led the crowd in singing happy birthday to Her Majesty, followed by an impromptu flag-waving rendition of the national anthem.
The beacon was lit around 8pm for the event, which the mayor described as “absolutely wonderful”.
Councillor Asker said: “I was thrilled with the number of people who came along as the whole event was all rather last-minute. But it was absolutely wonderful and there was a lovely atmosphere among all who were there.
“We had a lot of schoolchildren come along, and it was great to see residents from Hatherley Care Home also joining in the celebration.
You may also want to watch:
“I’d like to say a big thank you to Ridgeons for supplying the gas for the beacon, and the town council staff for managing to put the event together in their own time.
“It was a very nice celebration, and lovely to be a part of history.”
- 1 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 2 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 3 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event
- 4 New mayor, deputy mayor and leader appointed for town council
- 5 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 6 Old pirate ship climbing frame is removed for safety
- 7 New Walden mayor announces his charities for the year
- 8 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 9 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 10 Sir David Attenborough, JK Rowling inspire Debden