Mayor thanks church for Christmas service donations
- Credit: Archant
GENEROUS donations from over 1,300 churchgoers helped raise more than £850 for the mayor of Saffron Walden’s two charities.
The congregation of St Mary’s Church donated money and toys during the two popular Christmas Tree services on Christmas Eve – and had another little surprise up their sleeves when they sang happy birthday to Mayor David Watson.
Half of the money raised went to the church and the rest was split between Saffron Walden & District Riding Club for the Disabled and Huntington’s Disease Association, the charities chosen by Cllr Watson. Each received over £430.
The Rector of St Mary’s Parish Church, Rev David Tomlinson, said it was an “amazingly generous” contribution from the people who attended the services and added that it “reflected the love of Christmas”.
“The mayor has chosen two wonderful charities and once again we continue to see the generous giving by the people of Saffron Walden,” he said.
So far the mayor’s appeal for his two charities has raised £6,000 and Cllr Watson was quick to thank everyone for their support.
“I am absolutely delighted with the money that has been donated so far. The people of Saffron Walden have supported all the events we have run and have been generous in the extreme, as have all the independent shops,” he explained.
- 1 Stage times for Simple Minds' Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 2 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 3 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 Items worth three-figure sum 'stolen' from Holland and Barrett
- 5 Uttlesford District Council to take part in energy rebate scheme
- 6 Alice in Wonderland cast announced for Bridge End Gardens performances in Saffron Walden
- 7 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 8 Simple Minds set for Audley End concert ahead of releasing new album Direction Of The Heart
- 9 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 10 Saffron Walden Community Shed saves the day for charities in need
“This was a truly magical gesture by St Mary’s Parish Church.
“The Christmas Eve services were not only a pleasure to be at but were an excellent demonstration of the generosity of the people of Saffron Walden and the surrounding villages.”
Saffron Walden & District Riding Club for the Disabled’s treasurer, Helen Doust, said: “This makes a huge difference to us because we do not have any other funding to keep running.
“We need donations to keep in existence and to allow the children to ride.”