Meet the candidates vying for your votes in Elsenham and Henham by-election
- Credit: Archant
Crunch time has come for the hopeful candidates running to be the next district councillors for Henham and Elsenham today (February 16).
The by-election was called after two Liberal Democrat councillors resigned in January – Elizabeth Parr, elected in 2011, and Rory Gleeson, elected in 2015.
Petrina Lees and Garry LeCount, a senior executive and finance director, will be running for Residents for Uttlesford, both with parish council experience.
Petrina, who was a nurse for 30 years, said: “It is clear that Conservative politicians don’t represent us.
“That is why I’m now standing for RfU – they are the second largest group at Uttlesford District Council with a strong record of supporting residents on many different issues.”
You may also want to watch:
The Lib Dems are also putting forward two candidates – driving instructor Lori Flawn and news editor Sinead Holland.
Former Lib Dem district councillor for the ward, David Morson, said Sinead had been a “dogged champion for both villages in her former role as a journalist” and Lori is an “outstanding local worker”.
- 1 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 2 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 3 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 4 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 5 Conservative MP David Amess dies after being stabbed in Essex constituency
- 6 Rural ramblers efforts for Helen Rollason Cancer Charity
- 7 It's pumpkin picking season again at Cammas Hall Farm as Halloween approaches
- 8 Thaxted - Carver Scout Group visit an Apache helicopter
- 9 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 10 Historic books have new 'long loan' home to help researchers
Tory candidates Alexis Beeching and Joe Rich said they have been talking to hundreds of residents about the issues that are important to them.
Alexis said: “It is a close-knit community of long standing residents, whose families have lived locally for generations and decent hard working people.”
The Green Party hopefuls are Paul Henry Allington and Karmel Stannard - Karmel said: “I am really excited to take part and represent green policies, focusing on local sustainability and helping people in a local setting with local people and local providers.
The two UKIP candidates are retired airline pilot David Ronald Allum and nurse Sharron Coker.
David said: “Uttlesford District Council has been Tory run for years and I think familiarity breeds contempt, and a strong opposition is what is needed to champion local issues.”
A spokeman for Labour said: “The Labour Party has two excellent candidates in Carl Steward and Hilary Todd. They both live in Elsenham and will faithfully represent the views of the people of Elsenham and Henham.
“Being local residents, they are fully aware of the concerns that currently affect both villages.”
Polls will be open 7am to 10pm.