Michael Buble and Elvis help raise cash for Always Hope charity
- Credit: Archant
MICHAEL Buble and Elvis helped to raise more than £1,000 for Always Hope.
The evening of music and dancing was organised by sixth form students at The Helena Romanes School, in Parsonage Downs, Great Dunmow, in support of the charity set up by head of sixth form Matt Fletcher and wife Beth.
Mr Fletcher, who helped to raise the profile of his charity when he carried the Olympic torch through Southend last year, will this year undergo surgery to donate a kidney to daughter Hope who was born with renal failure.
The charity was set up to help other children like Hope, who spend much time in Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) being treated for their condition. Many events have been held over the years, including charity bike rides and a charity ball.
The latest event, a Michael Buble and Elvis tribute night at HRS, raised a total of £1,112 for the charity.
Mr Fletcher said: “Often, these children based at GOSH have additional problems and illnesses that make life very challenging. In the past, money raised has gone towards creating school classrooms, providing respite for parents and most recently providing a dozen iPads for Eagle Ward where these children spend lots of their time.
“It is our intention to develop the iPad scheme so they can complete all schoolwork from hospital to support their education.”
- 1 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 2 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 3 Road building not the answer to Essex's transport woes, says campaigner
- 4 Driver shortage leaves Walden pupil without school transport
- 5 In pictures: Burns Night at Walden's The Railway Arms
- 6 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 7 Solar farm planning application near Thaxted
- 8 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
- 9 Saffron Striders enjoy home leg of inter-club cross-country championship
- 10 Radical women of Saffron Walden walking tour
It is hoped the tribute night will become an annual event at HRS for the charity.
The annual Always Hope 25-mile charity bike ride will set off from High Easter Village Hall on Sunday June 9 at 10am. E-mail email@example.com for more information.