Michelle Obama touches down at Stansted Airport to champion education for girls
- Credit: Archant
Michelle Obama arrived at Stansted Airport this evening (Monday) to promote the Let Girls Learn initiative in the UK following recent visits to Japan and Cambodia.
The American First Lady, wife of US President Barrack Obama, touched down at around 8.30pm.
She will visit the Mulberry School for Girls in Tower Hamlets, London, tomorrow before meeting Prime Minister David Cameron and his wife, Samantha, at 10 Downing Street. She will also be meeting with Prince Harry.
Mrs Obama will meet with students and discuss how America and the UK are working together to grant girls around the world better access to education.
Globally, 62 million girls are not in school. Let Girls Learn is targeting this alarming statistic by addressing issues like forced marriage and lack of adequate family finance and healthcare.
You may also want to watch:
The First Lady emerged from the plane with daughters Sasha and Malia and was greeted by families from US air bases RAF Alconbury and Mildenhall.
Aimee Riester, 32, whose husband is based at RAF Alconbury, said: “It was great, it was overwhelmingly special to meet her.”
- 1 Motion of no confidence - may be held behind closed doors
- 2 New outreach Post Office for community
- 3 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 4 Uttlesford businesses 'disappointed' with Freedom Day delay
- 5 In pictures: Medieval landmark Walden Castle is restored
- 6 Classical BRIT Award-winning Jess Gillam to play Saffron Hall
- 7 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 8 Caught on camera: Motorcyclist feared for life in near-miss
- 9 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 10 Families celebrate Father's Day at IWM Duxford
Her son, Scott, age five, expressed his excitement at meeting the First Lady.
“She was beautiful and she was amazing,” he said, “I gave her a handshake and a high-five, but only a soft one.”
Mrs Obama will be in the UK for a two day visit before flying out on Wednesday morning.