Michelle Obama touches down at Stansted Airport to champion education for girls
- Credit: Archant
Michelle Obama arrived at Stansted Airport this evening (Monday) to promote the Let Girls Learn initiative in the UK following recent visits to Japan and Cambodia.
The American First Lady, wife of US President Barrack Obama, touched down at around 8.30pm.
She will visit the Mulberry School for Girls in Tower Hamlets, London, tomorrow before meeting Prime Minister David Cameron and his wife, Samantha, at 10 Downing Street. She will also be meeting with Prince Harry.
Mrs Obama will meet with students and discuss how America and the UK are working together to grant girls around the world better access to education.
Globally, 62 million girls are not in school. Let Girls Learn is targeting this alarming statistic by addressing issues like forced marriage and lack of adequate family finance and healthcare.
You may also want to watch:
The First Lady emerged from the plane with daughters Sasha and Malia and was greeted by families from US air bases RAF Alconbury and Mildenhall.
Aimee Riester, 32, whose husband is based at RAF Alconbury, said: “It was great, it was overwhelmingly special to meet her.”
- 1 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 4 Church praises members for 'fantastic' Harvest Time generosity
- 5 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 6 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 7 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 8 Jets and Falcons fly out of Stansted after their NFL London showdown
- 9 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 10 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
Her son, Scott, age five, expressed his excitement at meeting the First Lady.
“She was beautiful and she was amazing,” he said, “I gave her a handshake and a high-five, but only a soft one.”
Mrs Obama will be in the UK for a two day visit before flying out on Wednesday morning.