Monteverdi Vespers coming to Saffron Walden
A RARE and exciting piece of music will be performed by Saffron Walden Choral Society (SWCS) next Saturday (March 20). On the 400th anniversary of its composition, the Monteverdi Vespers of 1610 is coming to St Mary s Church in Saffron Walden. This is the
A RARE and exciting piece of music will be performed by Saffron Walden Choral Society (SWCS) next Saturday (March 20).
On the 400th anniversary of its composition, the Monteverdi Vespers of 1610 is coming to St Mary's Church in Saffron Walden.
This is the first time SWCS has performed this rarely heard, exuberant music so singers and audience alike are in for an exceptional treat.
Monteverdi was fluent in the traditional sacred style of his day but at the same time he was developing the new operatic style. The Vespers combines both approaches and has a wealth of virtuosic solo singing, monumental choruses, and various other vocal and choral styles, including choral chanting and distant voices in echo.
You may also want to watch:
Top class soloists and orchestra add further to the frisson of SWCS's performance. The choir will be joined by the Chameleon Arts Baroque Orchestra together with the English Cornett and Sackbut Ensemble.
The soloists are members of Voces8, an award winning vocal ensemble whose repertoire ranges from early polyphony to unique jazz arrangements and who has been much praised for their exquisite singing.
- 1 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 2 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 3 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK
- 4 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 5 This week's paper: Saffron Walden Reporter on July 29, 2021
- 6 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 7 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 8 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 9 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 10 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
The performance starts at 7.30pm and tickets are priced at �15 for adults, �12 for concessions and �1 for under 18s. They are available from SWCS box office on 01279 812849 and Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre.