Motorist who killed road side worker gets 60 hours community service
A YOUNG man from Saffron Walden has been sentenced for causing the death of maintenance worker in 2009.
Lewis Donaldson, 21, who pleaded on March 1, 2011 to causing death by careless driving following a crash in the Saffron Walden area in September 2009 has been sentenced today (March 22) to 60 hours community service, a 12 month supervision order and disqualified from driving for one year.
The collision happened when a Vauxhall Corsa and a VW Golf struck each other on Littlebury Green Road at its junction with Chestnut Avenue on September 11, 2009. As a result of this collision, the Golf left the road and struck two men who were carrying out maintenance work on a street sign adjacent to the road.
53-year-old Gerald Thorn from Saffron Walden was certified dead at the scene, his colleague was treated at hospital. The car drivers were not injured.
Pc Andy Sumner, the investigating officer said: “Due to Lewis Donaldson’s careless driving Gerald Thorn died. This is a heavy burden for a young man to bear. It has been a long enquiry and although he entered a guilty plea the time since the collision has been difficult for family and friends of the deceased and for the other injured party.
You may also want to watch:
“My sincere thanks go to the people that helped at the crash scene who have also been affected by what they saw that day, and other members of the emergency services who continue to work in unison with Essex Police.
“Our condolence to Mr Thorn’s relatives.”
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Affinity Water to resume water softening in Saffron Walden
- 3 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 4 Beth Shriever talks Tokyo: 'I'm proof that you can make it'
- 5 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 6 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 7 Essex BMX star wins Olympic gold
- 8 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 9 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 10 Saffron Walden Motor Show set for 2021 return