Motorists and anybody travelling towards Stansted Airport warned they face ‘long delays’ following Takeley explosion
- Credit: Archant
Police have advised motorists to avoid the Takeley area following an explosion at a scrap metal yard.
Firefighters are currently battling the large blaze and officers have recommended that anyone who is travelling to nearby Stansted Airport allow extra time for their journey.
Stansted Airport has confirmed that its flight operations have not been impacted by the blaze.
Police have closed the B1256 (Dunmow Road) in both directions between Parsonage Road (The Four Ashes) and Canfield Road. Motorists have been warned they face long delays.
Fire crews were called to the scrap yard, on Dunmow Road, at about 4.30pm. A spokesman for Essex Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews are fighting the fire on multiple fronts...it is thought that this fire involves a number of acetylene and oxygen cylinders.”
You may also want to watch:
The East of England Ambulance Service’s hazardous area response team is on the scene and two people have been treated for minor injuries.
- 1 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 2 Tools collection is a huge success
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 A Big Deal for Fairycroft House as comedy club makes comeback
- 5 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 6 Saffron Walden constituency could change shape in boundary review
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision
- 8 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues
- 9 New development plan for former Friends' School
- 10 Things to do in June - from open gardens to live music and dancing