MP Sir Alan calls for people to 'dig deep' for charity
SAFFRON Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst has taken the bold step of asking the town s residents to dig deep into their pockets to support charities this Christmas. Fresh after foraging into his own pockets earlier this year to pay back gardening expenses t
SAFFRON Walden MP Sir Alan Haselhurst has taken the bold step of asking the town's residents to "dig deep" into their pockets to support charities this Christmas.
Fresh after foraging into his own pockets earlier this year to pay back gardening expenses to the tax-payer Sir Alan has urged people to do the same - only this time to support local charities.
And as the president of the Council for Voluntary Service the Tory politician has a vested interest in how people spread their money this winter.
He said: "Charities provide such vital services to residents across the Saffron Walden constituency and we need to do what we can to ensure that these organisations are supported through difficult times."
You may also want to watch:
The call comes as Sir Alan throws his weight behind the Fundraising Standards Board's 'Give With Confidence' campaign, which aims to boost charitable giving levels this Christmas, following the nationwide fall in donations over the past year.
Chief executive Alistair McLean said: "It has been an incredibly tough year for UK charities.
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 3 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 4 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 5 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 6 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 Try this at home: Chef Webb from MasterChef's latest recipe
- 9 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 10 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
"Donations have dropped by as much as 11 per cent on last year and yet charitable services are more in demand than ever before.
"Fundraisers across the country are doing a fantastic job in raising money during such difficult times. But, our members report there is greater need that remains unmet."
The Give with Confidence campaign is an initiative of the Fundraising Standards Board, highlighting the high standards of charity fundraising in the UK and calling on the public to give what they can to the charities they care about.
For more information, visit www.givewithconfidence.org.uk