National Express East Anglia train strikes starts
THE first 48-hour strike on the National Express East Anglia rail network is officially under way (Thursday).The ASLEF and RMT trades unions have called four 48-hour rail strikes starting today (July 30), August 6, 13 and 20. The actions on the National
THE first 48-hour strike on the National Express East Anglia rail network is officially under way (Thursday).
The ASLEF and RMT trades unions have called four 48-hour rail strikes starting today (July 30), August 6, 13 and 20. The actions on the National Express East Anglia network are in relation to this year's pay award.
Bob Crow, RMT general secretary, said yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon: "The strikes on National Express East Anglia come down to one simple fact - this is a greedy company, pumped full of public subsidies who now expect their staff to take a hit on their pay and working conditions while the top bosses fatten up their profits at the expense of the travelling public and the workforce.
"National Express has already created chaos through the impending collapse of its franchise on the East Coast route and under the franchise rules they should be given notice to quit on East Anglia and C2C lines. The sooner the Government kicks them off the tracks and renationalises all their franchises the better."
National Express East Anglia managing director, Andrew Chivers, said: "The unions' demands are totally unrealistic, especially in this current economic climate.
"We have offered salary increases above the rate of inflation, and remain available at any time for discussions to reach a sensible, affordable and fair agreement.
- 1 Tea party celebrates Saffron Walden Museum volunteers
- 2 Debden man fundraising for Mind with 480km walk
- 3 Uttlesford Local Plan delay 'necessary' say councillors
- 4 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 5 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 6 Junior Fencer from Saffron Walden wins silver at England Championship
- 7 The Railway Arms awarded CAMRA county pub of the year
- 8 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 9 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 10 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
"Strike action is unnecessary, simply not the solution and I would like to apologise to our customers."
For information on alternative routes visit www.nationalexpresseastanglia.co.uk
WHAT DO YOU THINK? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org