National Lottery millionaires dig deep for epilepsy centre
A LOTTERY winning couple from Thaxted were among a group of volunteers who donned gardening gloves and wellies to help spruce up the gardens at a a facility for people with epilepsy.
Tracy and Tim Orton were among eight National Lottery winners from the East of England – who together are worth over �50m – to help out at St Elizabeth’s Centre for Epilepsy in Perry Green, Much Hadham.
The centre is one of only two in the country which provides specialist care, education and accommodation for people with profound epilepsy and other complex needs.
The volunteers spent the day helping with the centre’s horticulture social enterprise, preparing compost, installing an irrigation system, weeding and planting, as well as tidying up some of the resident’s cottage gardens.
Mr Orton, who scooped almost �3m in March 2004, said: “It really is amazing what you can achieve in just one day when you all work together. I hope the people at the centre get as much enjoyment out of their newly spruced-up gardens as we have had creating them.”
You may also want to watch:
Tracey Harley from St Elizabeth’s Centre said: “We were thrilled that so many lottery winners volunteered to give up their time and help us out for the day.
“We couldn’t have done it with out the groups help and hard work today, and all our residents and staff are delighted with the results.”
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 3 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 6 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 7 Coronavirus one year on: Stansted suffers 95% drop in passengers
- 8 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 9 Actor Ray Winstone's video appeal helps double air ambulance's 'brick' sales
- 10 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
For more information at St Elizabeth’s Centre call 01279 843451 or visit stelizabeths.org