National Volunteers Week: Saffron Walden home library service members given ‘thank you’ tea party
VOLUNTEERS who help run the home library service in Saffron Walden have been given a ‘thank you’ tea party for their efforts.
A team of 14 volunteers deliver books, DVDs and other materials to people from the town and surrounding villages who are unable to visit the King Street library themselves.
The service is open to anyone who is stuck at home. Currently almost 40 customers use it.
The tea party was held at the town’s library as part of National Volunteers Week (June 1-7).
Senior customer services assistant Lorna Gough, co-ordinator of the home library service, said of the volunteers: “They are very important. Many people who are stuck at home, both avid and new readers, are reliant on these volunteers to bring books to them.
“For some of our customers it is the only contact they have. Some have said that it is the only lifeline they have.
“Our volunteers become a friend to them, they get to know the customer and recommend books.”
- 1 District Council leader John Lodge to step down next week
- 2 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 3 Keep your chimney clean warning after blaze in Ashdon
- 4 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 5 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 6 MP Kemi Badenoch launches 'Buy One More Toy Appeal' for Christmas support
- 7 Community helps with tree planting at Lime Avenue, Saffron Walden
- 8 Villagers rally behind Elsenham Christmas Market
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Walden has late night shopping and musicians
She added: “We held the thank you tea to recognise all the hard work they do.”
Anyone interested in becoming part of the home library service team can pop into Saffron Walden Library on King Street or call 01799 523178.