NCTJ newshounds run in Cambridge’s Chariots of Fire charity race
- Credit: Archant
SIX newshounds followed in the footsteps of Oscar-winning film Chariots of Fire on Sunday morning.
Staff at the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ), based in Newport, were taking part in a 22-year-old running race – one of Cambridgeshire’s largest annual charity events.
Chariots of Fire saw teams of six running a 1.7-mile course in relay format around the University of Cambridge’s picturesque colleges.
NCTJ chief executive Joanne Butcher was joined by colleagues Shevon Houston, Michelle Lewis and Lisa Nelson, as well as Chris Elliott, readers’ editor at The Guardian, and Dave King, head of news at the Eastbourne Herald – with the group kitted out by Saffron Apparel.
She said: “Many thanks to everyone who supported the NCTJ News Hounds in this tough but enjoyable challenge. We are particularly grateful to Danny at Fitness Focus for overseeing our training regime, Saffron Apparel for the bespoke running vests and, of course, our families, friends and colleagues who sponsored and encouraged us.”
The NCTJ newshounds completed the course in 1hr 29mins. So far £620 has been raised and donated to The Papworth Trust, a leading disability charity whose mission is to support disabled people to have equality, choice and independence.
The NCTJ delivers training for journalists in the UK.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 2 Police appeals into two Uttlesford incidents
- 3 Decision yet to be made on Saffron Walden's 20mph limit
- 4 Consultation on traffic in Walden's Market Square ends on Monday
- 5 Saffron Walden photographer's book a permanent record of life in a locked down town
- 6 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 7 Derby fun for Wendens Ambo as they brush off logistical headache
- 8 East of England Tourism Awards 2021-2022: Large Visitor Attraction of the Year finalists
- 9 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 10 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
To donate in support of the team’s efforts, visit justgiving.com/nctj