Neighbour prevents spread of Ashdon bedroom fire – which was started by the sun reflecting off a mirror

PUBLISHED: 09:50 07 November 2014 | UPDATED: 09:50 07 November 2014

A fire broke out in an Ashdon home after the sun reflected off a mirror onto some curtains.

A fire broke out in an Ashdon home after the sun reflected off a mirror onto some curtains.

Archant

A quick-thinking neighbour was praised yesterday (Thursday) after dashing into a home and tackling a bedroom fire which had been started by the sun reflecting off a mirror onto a pair of curtains.

Firefighters were called to the fire, at Overall Lane, Ashdon, at about 10am.

Two crews, one from Saffron Walden and another from Dunmow, put the flames out in a matter of minutes, but it was thanks to the actions of a resident living nearby that the fire did not spread.

Essex Fire Service said the hot beam of light from a magnified vanity mirror made the curtains burst into flames, causing damage to the window, wall, ceiling and carpet around it.

Station Officer Paul Curtis, Saffron Walden, said: “Because it was such a bright day the sun reflecting off this mirror was hot enough to set light to a pair of curtains.

“A neighbour ran in and tackled the fire to prevent it from spreading before we arrived, but it still caused a lot of damage.”

He added: “It’s not the first time I have been called to a fire which started like this. It’s not something most people would think about but these magnifying mirrors can create a hot and focused beam of light and in this case it set fire to the curtains.

“Anyone who has one of these mirrors should seriously consider making sure it is kept away from windows and direct sunlight, especially on sunny days like today.”

The incident was dealt with 10.40am.

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter