New £8m hotel to be opened at Stansted Airport by 2016
- Credit: Archant
Plans have been unveiled as part of an £8million development project to build a new 330-room hotel next to the terminal at Stansted Airport.
A hotel operator for the two-acre site, adjacent to the terminal building on Bassingbourn Road, is yet to be agreed but the structure will be built by developer Urban&Civic in association with Manchester Airports Group, which owns Stansted.
Construction is scheduled to begin in July this year and it is expected that the hotel will be operated under a “major branded franchise”. The target opening date is Christmas 2016.
Managing director, Robin Butler, said: “Urban&Civic has already committed substantial investment within the wider region and see London Stansted Airport as an essential component in the growth story.”
Lynda Shillaw MAG Property CEO said: “This opportunity is a significant step for development at Stansted, providing a key facility to support the growth of the airport and opportunities for the local community through the jobs that it creates.”
You may also want to watch:
The announcement comes as Manchester Airports Group (MAG) – the new owners of London Stansted Airport – continues its £260m investment plan to attract more passengers, airlines and long-haul services.
- 1 Revealed: images of new hospital that aims to be carbon neutral
- 2 Tools collection is a huge success
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 A Big Deal for Fairycroft House as comedy club makes comeback
- 5 Ibiza legend Dave Pearce and Clockwork Orange Andy Manston at garden party
- 6 Saffron Walden constituency could change shape in boundary review
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after Broxted collision
- 8 Fête de la Musique returns to Walden - with nine music venues
- 9 New development plan for former Friends' School
- 10 Things to do in June - from open gardens to live music and dancing