New £8m hotel to be opened at Stansted Airport by 2016
- Credit: Archant
Plans have been unveiled as part of an £8million development project to build a new 330-room hotel next to the terminal at Stansted Airport.
A hotel operator for the two-acre site, adjacent to the terminal building on Bassingbourn Road, is yet to be agreed but the structure will be built by developer Urban&Civic in association with Manchester Airports Group, which owns Stansted.
Construction is scheduled to begin in July this year and it is expected that the hotel will be operated under a “major branded franchise”. The target opening date is Christmas 2016.
Managing director, Robin Butler, said: “Urban&Civic has already committed substantial investment within the wider region and see London Stansted Airport as an essential component in the growth story.”
Lynda Shillaw MAG Property CEO said: “This opportunity is a significant step for development at Stansted, providing a key facility to support the growth of the airport and opportunities for the local community through the jobs that it creates.”
You may also want to watch:
The announcement comes as Manchester Airports Group (MAG) – the new owners of London Stansted Airport – continues its £260m investment plan to attract more passengers, airlines and long-haul services.
- 1 'Don't replace our pub garden with housing', say Newport campaigners
- 2 National award and recognition for work of a laughter specialist
- 3 Purse stolen from shopper's bag in Aldi supermarket, Walden
- 4 Delight as triathlon returns to Saffron Walden for 20th edition
- 5 Mencap 'thank you' for Dig It community allotment
- 6 Eco Market celebrates Essex's eco businesses on Great Big Green Week
- 7 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 8 New cup and pavilion are dedicated to memory of Colin Bazley
- 9 Kemi Badenoch MP secures new brief in September reshuffle
- 10 Cambridge Music Festival returns with 30th anniversary programme of concerts and online offerings