New Carnival Queen for Saffron Walden
SAFFRON Walden Round Table kept abreast of the Royal weekend by selecting its new Carnival Queen.
Six entrants put themselves forward for the competition and, following a question and answer session, along with dancing to Michael Jackson tribute, Navi, the judges decided on the new queen and attendants.
Sienna Halliburton was named Saffron Walden Carnival Queen for 2011.
The 19 year old is relishing the role of being queen in her first Saffron Walden Carnival.
“I moved to Saffron Walden seven years ago from London and I was too young or on holiday when it was on so this will be my first one,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I was surprised to win but I am really pleased.”
Sienna explained that she had put herself forward after her hairdresser, Kelly from Solo Hair and Beauty, was an attendant.
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Gardeners behind the best-kept Saffron Walden allotments named
- 3 Covid booster vaccinations scheme is rolling out at pace
- 4 Team Max to hold fundraising auction for planned children's hospital
- 5 Runners raise more than £1,500 for Accuro in west Essex
- 6 New solar farm policy 'ducks the main issues', say campaigners
- 7 Food collection and seasonal songs at R A Butler's harvest festival
- 8 English Touring Opera coming to Saffron Hall with rarely performed Handel opera
- 9 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 10 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
“Kelly and another of my friends, Chrissie, had been involved and they are both up for a laugh so it must be fun.”
As you can imagine the teenager, who will be studying International Relations at Durham University later this year, put meeting Lemar, who will be performing on the opening night, high on her list of things she was most looking forward to. Also high on the list was Ladies Night on July 4.
Accompanying Sienna will be her attendees Kerry Maskell and Jade Law.
Carnival chairman Jason Thomson said: “This is the first time we have brought the competition outside of the carnival week – and it was an amazing night, especially with Navi and all the contestants. “I think I was more nervous than all of them.”
Sienna praised the evening itself saying: “The night itself was so much fun. BY the end of the night I didn’t care if I won or not as the night was great. The Michael Jackson act was brilliant and capped off a really good night.
There are only 54 days to go until the carnival itself, which runs from July 1 to July 9. For the latest carnival news, events and tickets visit 8dayweekend.co.uk