New combined Saffron Walden to Audley End bus and rail tickets now available
- Credit: Archant
THE mayor of Saffron Walden arrived right on time for the launch of a new travel initiative from the town centre to Audley End station.
Rail operator Greater Anglia has teamed up with bus companies and Essex County Council for the scheme – which allows people to buy a combined bus and train ticket online or from Saffron Walden Tourist Information Centre.
There is also now an hourly off-peak bus service from Saffron Walden to the rail station and more frequent journeys during the morning and evening peak periods, Greater Anglia has said.
Two additional departures from Saffron Walden at 09.19am and 10.19am and an extra evening service providing a later final bus departure from the station at 21.05am have been added to the timetable.
Bus companies Viceroy, TGM Stansted, Stephenson’s and Hedingham are all involved in the venture – a move Greater Anglia partnerships manager Geraint Hughes said was key to the initiative’s introduction.
You may also want to watch:
Speaking at the launch of the six-month trial on Tuesday (September 17), which is expected to be made a permanent, he said: “We had to be careful not to upset the delicate equilibrium of bus services in the area and that was why it was important to work with them to create the additional service around existing timetables.”
Mayor of Saffron Walden and chairman of the Uttlesford Transport Forum, Keith Eden, said: “This is great news for Saffron Walden and we welcome improved public transport links to the town. I’m delighted this idea has moved forward and what I particularly love is the fact we are issuing rail tickets at the Tourist Information Centre, which is absolutely fabulous.”
- 1 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 2 Essex village celebrates 1,000 years of memories with new archive
- 3 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 4 In pictures: Saffron Walden's weekend of flooding
- 5 In pictures: Classic cars rally to celebrate the Royal British Legion at 100
- 6 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 7 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 8 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 9 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 10 Spurs partnership with Walden clubs is a first in UK