New crime and highways cabinet member appointed for Uttlesford
UTTLESFORD District Council has a new cabinet post with responsibility for matters including crime and highways.
Cllr Alastair Walters was confirmed in the post of cabinet member for community safety at the annual council meeting on Tuesday. The position incorporates a range of responsibilities including community safety, enforcement, emergency planning and working on highways issues with Essex County Council.
Cllr Walters said: “The creation of this post demonstrates the importance the district council attaches to a high standard of local policing in our towns and villages and to improving road maintenance.
“Although Uttlesford is rated as a low crime area in Essex, it is essential to liaise closely with our local police to ensure concerns about anti social behaviour and vandalism are effectively addressed. To this end we are making a substantial investment in CCTV in our towns, with �155,000 being spent last year and this year in Saffron Walden, Stansted, Dunmow and Felsted.
“This money is being used to upgrade or install cameras and recorders that will provide images during the day, but most importantly at night, of evidential quality to assist our police achieve convictions.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Walters added: “On matters of Highways, I have a great deal of respect for Essex County Council Highways who have a really difficult job maintaining our roads, especially after very harsh and protracted winters, and more so now with the financial constraints imposed.
“Although responsibility and decision making lies with the County Council, I look forward to working with them on behalf of the district council to ensure road improvements.”
- 1 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
- 2 Students share their views on school curriculum
- 3 Walden church open and taking part in Thy Kingdom Come
- 4 Operation Trespass will highlight drugs gangs cuckooing efforts
- 5 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 6 Delight as books are donated to school's learning centre
- 7 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 8 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 9 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 10 Market Square event organisers "amazed" at popularity of dine-out event