New day centre officially opened
DOZENS of Thaxted residents enjoyed lunch in the village s new day centre on Friday after the community facility was officially opened. The lunch, attended by council officers, councillors and users, was a celebration of the successful conclusion of the
DOZENS of Thaxted residents enjoyed lunch in the village's new day centre on Friday after the community facility was officially opened.
The lunch, attended by council officers, councillors and users, was a celebration of the successful conclusion of the three-year project, completed at a cost of �320,000.
The old centre had become rundown and was demolished in May last year.
Construction then began on its replacement, funded, designed and built by Uttlesford District Council, with contractors Elliott Fastrack.
You may also want to watch:
Day centre user Thomas Joyce was one of the local people who attended the opening celebrations.
He said: "We all used the old centre, but this one is no comparison. It's a drastic improvement, such a welcoming place.
- 1 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 2 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 3 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 4 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 5 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 6 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 7 Campaign seeks free products in Uttlesford's public buildings
- 8 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month
- 9 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 10 Team Laptop launches to support children's learning
"Everyone from the district council who has been involved in the project has been terrific throughout, always treating us respectfully and working very efficiently.
"And we're especially grateful to Helen Harvey from the council's housing department - she's been a friend to many of us and always went the extra mile. We're all very thankful."
Peggy Barker, who has lived in Thaxted for 20 years and is a user of the centre, said: "It is a lovely new building. I'm glad it is open because we have been waiting a long time for it. I can't wait for all the talks and club meetings."
Uttlesford District Council chairman, Cllr Mark Lemon, said he was very pleased to be able to officially open the new centre.
He added: "This marks the successful conclusion of a major project, into which many people have put in a great deal of hard work.
"I must give special thanks to everyone involved: councillors, the housing team, and particularly Helen Harvey, who has worked tirelessly to get the centre up and running in the fantastic condition it's in today.
"I am sure the community of Thaxted will make good use of this wonderful new facility.