New director for Fledglings
A SAFFRON Walden-based national charity which improves the lives of disabled children has appointed a new director.
Gerry Reilly has been brought in to spearhead operations at Fledglings.
Mr Reilly has relocated from Cornwall where, for the last three years, he has run the Handstand Appeal, a charitable appeal dedicated to raising awareness and funds to support victims of meningitis.
The 58-year-old has a background in the travel, tourism and leisure sectors and has held a number of senior management and director positions.
Mr Reilly said: “In the current economic climate this is a challenging time for all charities and Fledglings is no exception. The cost of providing the advice and service cannot be met solely through the charity’s current commercial operations so the challenge is to expand those commercial operations and seek other sources of funding to allow Fledglings to continue its marvellous work in supporting disabled children and their families.”
You may also want to watch:
Fledglings was founded in 1998 by Ruth Lingard. The charity exists to improve the lives of disabled children and give relief to their families and carers by providing advice and sourcing and supplying products and services to meet individual needs.
Mrs Lingard will continue as chairman of trustees and in devoting her time to the development of Fledglings’ product and service provision and liaison with statutory bodies and other charities.
- 1 Several Saffron Walden businesses 'permanently closed since pandemic'
- 2 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 3 Another planning application as previous rejection prepares for appeal
- 4 Villages around Saffron Walden covered in frost and snow
- 5 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 6 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 7 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 8 'I can walk 500 miles' - chairman's Scottish celebrations during charity trek
- 9 Saffron Walden artist designs George Orwell book covers
- 10 Auction stations - former telephone exchange is up for grabs
She said: “We are delighted that Gerry is joining us as director. We believe this commercial experience and his recent fundraising experience will bring considerable benefit to Fledglings as we develop and grow.”
Fledglings is holding a charity quiz night on Saturday April 28, at 7.30pm, in the Masonic Hall, Church Street, Saffron Walden. Tickets are �12.50 which includes an evening meal, entry to the quiz and a raffle. There will also be a licensed bar. Call 0845 458 1124.
All the proceeds will be going to support Fledglings’ services.
For more information visit fledglings.org.uk.