New director for Fledglings
A SAFFRON Walden-based national charity which improves the lives of disabled children has appointed a new director.
Gerry Reilly has been brought in to spearhead operations at Fledglings.
Mr Reilly has relocated from Cornwall where, for the last three years, he has run the Handstand Appeal, a charitable appeal dedicated to raising awareness and funds to support victims of meningitis.
The 58-year-old has a background in the travel, tourism and leisure sectors and has held a number of senior management and director positions.
Mr Reilly said: “In the current economic climate this is a challenging time for all charities and Fledglings is no exception. The cost of providing the advice and service cannot be met solely through the charity’s current commercial operations so the challenge is to expand those commercial operations and seek other sources of funding to allow Fledglings to continue its marvellous work in supporting disabled children and their families.”
Fledglings was founded in 1998 by Ruth Lingard. The charity exists to improve the lives of disabled children and give relief to their families and carers by providing advice and sourcing and supplying products and services to meet individual needs.
Mrs Lingard will continue as chairman of trustees and in devoting her time to the development of Fledglings’ product and service provision and liaison with statutory bodies and other charities.
- 1 Obituary: On-call firefighter dedicated life to community
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 Pictures: Hundreds take part in Saffron Walden Jubilee walk
- 4 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 5 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
- 6 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 7 Saffron Walden triathlon a success as it returns to usual May date
- 8 The Railway Arms is North West Essex CAMRA Pub of the Year
- 9 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 SWCC girls U13 come close to victory
She said: “We are delighted that Gerry is joining us as director. We believe this commercial experience and his recent fundraising experience will bring considerable benefit to Fledglings as we develop and grow.”
Fledglings is holding a charity quiz night on Saturday April 28, at 7.30pm, in the Masonic Hall, Church Street, Saffron Walden. Tickets are �12.50 which includes an evening meal, entry to the quiz and a raffle. There will also be a licensed bar. Call 0845 458 1124.
All the proceeds will be going to support Fledglings’ services.
For more information visit fledglings.org.uk.