New Essex library opening time patterns announced
OPENING time patterns for libraries in the Reporter area have been announced.
The new timetables will come into effect on July 4 following a countywide consultation prompted by the need to save over �4 million over the next four years.
Saffron Walden Library has lost 13 hours as part of the cost-cutting exercise – the new timetable will see the King Street facility shut early on Wednesday and close all day on Sunday.
Essex County Council’s libraries service received more than 27,000 responses and in most cases, the service says, customers had a ‘clear preference for a particular pattern of opening times and the most popular option implemented’.
Customers will be able to pick up a bookmark with details of the new opening times at their local library.
You may also want to watch:
Cabinet member for environment and culture Cllr Jeremy Lucas said: “I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to the consultation. I am pleased to be able to say that we have been able to honour the will of the respondents.
“We are still keen to work with other public sector organisations or community groups who may have suggestions for funding or in kind support which may enable us to keep libraries open for longer.
- 1 Affinity Water: No compensation for customers in water softening row
- 2 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 3 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 4 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 5 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 6 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 7 Coronavirus one year on: Stansted suffers 95% drop in passengers
- 8 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 9 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
- 10 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
“We continue to welcome any suggestions of this type.”
A number of changes to the routes of some mobile libraries will also come into effect from July 4. Timetables are available from mobile libraries or by calling 0845 603 7628
NEW LIBRARY OPENING HOURS
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 9am-6pm
Monday, Friday and Sunday: Closed
Tuesday and Thursday: 3pm-6pm
Monday, Wednesday and Sunday: Closed