New eye unit to be opened at hospital
A NEW unit for eye patients is to officially open at Addenbrooke s Hospital tomorrow (Tuesday March 24).The Cambridge Eye Unit boasts state-of-the art facilities, is double the size of the previous eye surgery facility. It has two operating theatres and
A NEW unit for eye patients is to officially open at Addenbrooke's Hospital tomorrow (Tuesday March 24).
The Cambridge Eye Unit boasts state-of-the art facilities, is double the size of the previous eye surgery facility. It has two operating theatres and a 10-bed ward.
Most patients who go through the unit have cataract surgery, with about 1,500 corrective procedures carried out annually. However, more specialist work, such as glaucoma surgery, eye lid plastic surgery, surgery for watery eyes and children's eye surgery, also take place.
The unit has been purpose-built for patients with visual-impairment and located next to the cateract clinic, where patients are assessed before surgery.
Consultant paediatric ophthalmologist and clinical director of ophthalmology, Louise Allen, said: "The unit provides a streamlined service for patients, who will benefit from the latest technology and a dedicated team of staff in a comfortable and purpose-built environment."
Former consultant vitreo-retinal surgeon at Addenbrooke's, John Scott, will unveil a commemorative plaque and guests will be given a tour at the official opening.
- 1 Essex report into Covid deaths and residents with learning disabilities
- 2 Fire safety measures approved for Harlow council homes
- 3 Family tribute to much-loved mum and grandma who died during Thaxted fire
- 4 District council: Free car parking between Christmas and January 3
- 5 Thaxted businesses meet Kemi Badenoch MP to talk about Small Business Saturday
- 6 More jab capacity planned in North Uttlesford as Omicron variant appears
- 7 'Many questions' claim as Uttlesford leader John Lodge announces resignation
- 8 Christmas in Essex: 9 magical places to visit in winter
- 9 Stansted's Mountfitchet House has 'bush tucker trials'
- 10 Person has died on railway tracks near Newport, say police