New police dogs join Stansted Airport team
- Credit: Essex Police
Two new police dogs and their handlers will be patrolling Stansted Airport after completing an eight-week course in the search and detection of explosives.
Pc Mark Webster and Pc Hayley Peek and police dogs Buddy and Holly were presented with certificates by Chief Constable Stephen Kavanagh at Essex Police headquarters last week.
The handlers have been given their licences and have joined on operational duties at the airport.
Mr Kavanagh said: “The security and the safety of passengers and airport staff is a key priority for our force and I’m delighted we are strengthening our team with these new additions.
“Pcs Webster and Peek and Buddy and Holly bring a specialist and a unique set of skills to the airport to help identify criminals and disrupt criminal groups.
“Our deployments at the airport involve a wide range of tactics to help deter, disrupt and detect criminal activity. Our new additions will help build upon these tactics and bring reassurance to the thousands of people who leave and arrive at Stansted Airport every day.”
Chief Inspector Richard Phillibrown, Essex Police’s deputy airport commander, said: “Buddy and Holly really are great additions to our already existing teams here at Stansted Airport.
- 1 Red, white and blue: Royal theme for Saffron Walden windows
- 2 Suffocating plants to be stripped out: Jubilee Pond makeover
- 3 Police find body in search for missing 71-year-old Raymond
- 4 Platinum Jubilee: Uttlesford street party and activities
- 5 Free lunch, free fun and circus for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 6 Saffron Walden U13 Girls celebrate 3-0 victory
- 7 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 10 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
“These latest additions show the strong partnership with have with Stansted and the airports operator, Manchester Airport Group.”
Pat Hillier, Stansted Airport’s head of security compliance, added: “Everyone at Stansted is looking forward to seeing them both at the airport when they begin their important role.”
The force is currently also training another additional police dog to increase drug and cash searches at the airport with the aim of introducing the dog in February.