New Saffron Walden bookshop ‘really close’ to opening
- Credit: Archant
The wait is nearly over for book-lovers in Saffron Walden as the opening of a new independent bookshop in town draws ever closer.
Hart’s Books, based in King Street at the old site of audio specialists Chew and Osborne, is expected to open imminently.
The shop is the new venture from London-based independent bookseller Daunt Books, and Hart’s will become their first to open outside of the capital.
Renovation work has been ongoing for four months and a spokesperson for Daunt said the store’s opening was “really close”, but was unable to give an exact date.
The spokesperson said: “We don’t have an opening date yet, as there is still work being done. I know we have got to get books stocked in the store, but we are really close to the opening. We’re all very excited about it.”
You may also want to watch:
Daunt came to an agreement with W Hart and Son, whose own bookshop closed in 2007, to use the name for the new shop, which is next to Hart’s Yard - the original birthplace of Hart’s in Saffron Walden in 1836.
- 1 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 2 Fire Service door to door visits after fatal fire
- 3 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
- 4 Anti flooding solutions being created for outside Newport
- 5 Man dies in 'unexplained' house fire
- 6 What it was like travelling abroad during Covid
- 7 Widespread flooding leads to busiest day for Essex firefighters
- 8 MasterChef winner Chef Webb's lockdown recipe
- 9 Rape victim urges others to be brave and tell Essex Police
- 10 Saffron Hall's Come Together project starts online this month