New skate park opens; further sports funding available
- Credit: Richard Legge
A new half pipe skate ramp has opened in Thaxted, the latest large project to benefit from sports funding.
The funding has come from Uttlesford District Council, Thaxted Parish Council and Essex County Council.
Ray Williams who has been involved with Thaxted Youth Club for many years cut the ribbon to “Ray’s Ramp" and a Skate Jam was also held.
Councillor Martin Foley, a local district councillor, said: “We’re delighted at Thaxted’s superb new skate-park, as are the local boarders and BMXers.
"Fellow ward councillor Mike Tayler and I championed the £35,000 grant from UDC that funded this important community asset for residents.
"It has been a pleasure to welcome it open, as well as show our commitment to the wonderful team at Thaxted Youth Club.”
Further larger-scale sports projects are being encouraged to step forward for a Sports Provision Grant from Uttlesford District Council.
In 2020/21, UDC awarded £150,000 to Saffron Walden Community Football Club towards its new 3G artificial grass pitch at Saffron Walden County High School.
- 1 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 3 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 4 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- 5 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 6 "You could hear a pin drop": Author's reading in bookstore
- 7 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 8 Suspense thriller is author's fourth novel
- 9 Microsoft's Outlook email service hit by outage
- 10 Mayoral year donations are handed out
The budget for 2022/23 is £250,000. The closing date for applications is June 30.