Newport Art Group celebrates 30 years of paintings
IN April 1981 six budding artists turned up in Newport clutching pads and pencils ready to do some drawing.
Thirty years on and Newport Art Group has celebrated its 30th birthday last week.
Jane Nash, a founder member, said: “Our numbers grew slowly as people discovered that they could join us to draw and paint what they liked and how they liked, learning from each other.
“After a while there were too many of us to fit in the bar annex and we moved into the Main Hall where we have been ever since. Elaine Purcell and myself are the only people still here from the start.
When the new surgery opened in the village the group was asked if to display some of their paintings there. The group has also provided work for the church’s 900th anniversary, flower festivals and street markets, and holds an annual exhibition every year.
You may also want to watch:
“Although our numbers have grown, and members come from as far afield as Little Bardfield and Great Sampford, Duxford, Linton, Clavering and Bishop’s Stortford, we are still an informal group with no annual fee but payment per session,” said Mrs Nash.
“We usually have one or two tutored mornings a year and an outdoor painting day in the summer.”
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 3 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 4 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 5 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 6 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 7 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 8 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 9 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 10 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
Anyone who would like to join the group can turn up at Newport Village Hall, Station Road, from 10am on a Wednesday. For more information call 01799 540716.