Newport Art Group celebrates 30 years of paintings
IN April 1981 six budding artists turned up in Newport clutching pads and pencils ready to do some drawing.
Thirty years on and Newport Art Group has celebrated its 30th birthday last week.
Jane Nash, a founder member, said: “Our numbers grew slowly as people discovered that they could join us to draw and paint what they liked and how they liked, learning from each other.
“After a while there were too many of us to fit in the bar annex and we moved into the Main Hall where we have been ever since. Elaine Purcell and myself are the only people still here from the start.
When the new surgery opened in the village the group was asked if to display some of their paintings there. The group has also provided work for the church’s 900th anniversary, flower festivals and street markets, and holds an annual exhibition every year.
You may also want to watch:
“Although our numbers have grown, and members come from as far afield as Little Bardfield and Great Sampford, Duxford, Linton, Clavering and Bishop’s Stortford, we are still an informal group with no annual fee but payment per session,” said Mrs Nash.
“We usually have one or two tutored mornings a year and an outdoor painting day in the summer.”
- 1 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 2 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 3 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 4 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 5 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 6 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 7 Houses in pub garden refused on appeal but similar application pending
- 8 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 9 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 10 Firefighters rescue woman after town centre collision
Anyone who would like to join the group can turn up at Newport Village Hall, Station Road, from 10am on a Wednesday. For more information call 01799 540716.