Newport: Campaign group’s opposition to mass housing gaining speed
A CAMPAIGN group set up to fight large scale housing development in Newport is continuing to gather momentum.
When the Reporter exclusively revealed in January that there were plans afoot to rebuild the grammar school to make way for up to 300 homes, a number of villagers decided to take action.
Save Newport Village
Joanna Parry, of Belmont Hill, set up the group Stop Newport Expansion. Since then, the number of villagers opposing mass development has grown.
After forming a committee, it was decided by members that the name would be changed to Save Newport Village and a new Facebook group and contact details have been set up.
Mrs Parry, speaking on behalf of the group, said: “Save Newport Village is a campaign to stop our village being turned into an urban sprawl.
“Developers have proposed building large scale housing estates and retail and industrial units around one side of Newport which we believe will include little or no affordable housing.
- 1 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 2 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 3 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 4 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 5 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 6 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 7 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 8 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 9 Property: How could the new laws for renters affect you?
- 10 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
“Some of our high street shops would be unlikely to survive and Uttlesford’s water supply is already running on empty. The village would not be able to cope with the huge development being talked about.”
Spreading the word
The group is intending to distribute leaflets to every house in the village next weekend in a bid to gather further opposition.
Langley Upper Green-based developer Pelham Structures has come up with three different proposals for possible development in the village.
Each one is to be submitted to the district council to be considered alongside the formulation of the Local Development Framework – due for completion by the middle of next year.
The Reporter understands that at least one other developer has also shown an interest in large scale development in the village.
Anyone who wants to support the campaign can email email@example.com, phone 07759 157873 or join the group on Facebook at facebook.com/groups/savenewportvillage
What do you think about the proposals for large scale housing development in Newport? E-mail your thoughts to firstname.lastname@example.org