Newport grandmother ‘pushed to the ground’ in aggravated burglary
- Credit: Archant
Police are appealing for information following an aggravated burglary at the home of a grandmother in her 70s.
At about 9.50pm on Friday night two men forced their way in to a house in Frambury Lane, Newport.
Inside the property at the time was the woman’s grandson, in his 20s, and three of his friends.
The suspects, who were dressed in black clothing, demanded money. One was armed with what has been described as a silver pistol.
During the burglary the woman was pushed to the ground. The suspects made off with a three-figure sum of cash.
Dc Nicholas Campbell of Braintree CID said: “Newport is a quiet village where incidents like these are extremely rare.
“I am concerned about the psychological impact of this crime on both the victim and surrounding residents.
- 1 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 2 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 3 Will there be a White Christmas in Essex this year?
- 4 Stansted Airport calls for residents' views on solar transformation plan
- 5 Walden has late night shopping and musicians
- 6 Saffron Walden a contender in Britain's Favourite Market vote
- 7 Students bring cheer to senior citizens through Christmas Buddy Scheme
- 8 Person has died on railway tracks near Newport, say police
- 9 Police arrest nearly 100 M11 and M25 environmental protestors
- 10 IWM Duxford exhibition to display largest collection of Spitfires under one roof
“We have all available resources working on the investigation to catch the two men responsible and ask anyone who has information to contact us.”
Both suspects are described as black, between 5ft 10ins and 6ft tall, wearing black clothing and balaclavas.
Anyone with information should contact Braintree CID on 101 or contact the independent crime-fighting charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 or through their anonymous online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org.