Newport pupils celebrate official unveiling of new study centre
- Credit: Archant
Pupils at Newport Primary School celebrated the official unveiling of their brand new study centre last week.
The learning hub, which includes an Apple computer, PCs and a collection of books, is just one of the many ambitious projects which have come to fruition thanks to the fundraising exploits of the Friends of Newport Primary School.
Made up of parents and teachers, the Friends have so far raised over £30,000 in the last five years – an impressive achievement for a school of 130 pupils.
Chairman Judy Emmanuel said: “We’re incredibly proud that a school as small as Newport has been able to raise so much money and we think it’s something worth shouting about.
“The study centre has been furnished with new books and an IT suite, and is set up for lots of one-to-one tuition. It is a fantastic environment and pulls together a lot of resources the school had into a more user-friendly setting.”
You may also want to watch:
Fundraising cash has also gone towards a musical garden, laptops and iPads – the latter of which was used to photograph the visit of reporter Sam Tonkin.
Year 6 pupil Stephen Allen, 11, and Neve Nanton, 9, who is in Year 5, wrote a report on the study centre’s launch and published it on the school’s website.
- 1 Walden club requests you donate your unwanted tools
- 2 Holidaymakers fly abroad again out of Stansted Airport
- 3 Award for carpentry apprentice who follows her father into the industry
- 4 Mayor presents vouchers to help foodbank clients
- 5 Saffron Walden shakeup in county council elections
- 6 Hoarding can cause higher risk of fire, says emergency service
- 7 Further registrars speak out in wedding consultation row
- 8 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 9 Neighbourhood Plan Referendum results
- 10 Walden's new healthcare hub taking shape - as doctors surgery goes on market for £1.4m
It is one of a number of initiatives designed to promote the school’s continued strive for excellence.
Another is a glossy Christmas magazine which is to be launched by the Friends. It will include all the latest news about the school, along with upcoming events and fundraisers, and has been supported by businesses in the area. The school’s Christmas Fayre will take place on November 30.
For more information, visit newport.essex.sch.uk