Newport pupils celebrate official unveiling of new study centre
- Credit: Archant
Pupils at Newport Primary School celebrated the official unveiling of their brand new study centre last week.
The learning hub, which includes an Apple computer, PCs and a collection of books, is just one of the many ambitious projects which have come to fruition thanks to the fundraising exploits of the Friends of Newport Primary School.
Made up of parents and teachers, the Friends have so far raised over £30,000 in the last five years – an impressive achievement for a school of 130 pupils.
Chairman Judy Emmanuel said: “We’re incredibly proud that a school as small as Newport has been able to raise so much money and we think it’s something worth shouting about.
“The study centre has been furnished with new books and an IT suite, and is set up for lots of one-to-one tuition. It is a fantastic environment and pulls together a lot of resources the school had into a more user-friendly setting.”
You may also want to watch:
Fundraising cash has also gone towards a musical garden, laptops and iPads – the latter of which was used to photograph the visit of reporter Sam Tonkin.
Year 6 pupil Stephen Allen, 11, and Neve Nanton, 9, who is in Year 5, wrote a report on the study centre’s launch and published it on the school’s website.
- 1 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 2 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 5 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 6 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 9 Roman ceramics and ancient road discovered in big archaeological dig
- 10 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
It is one of a number of initiatives designed to promote the school’s continued strive for excellence.
Another is a glossy Christmas magazine which is to be launched by the Friends. It will include all the latest news about the school, along with upcoming events and fundraisers, and has been supported by businesses in the area. The school’s Christmas Fayre will take place on November 30.
For more information, visit newport.essex.sch.uk