Newport scout group colony faces closure after popular leader stands down
A POPULAR scout group is in danger of folding after its long-standing leader stood down.
Sue Cameron – affectionately known as ‘Mrs Hedgehog’ to the beaver scouts – has been with the 1st Newport scout group for 15 years but has decided to call it a day due to family and work commitments.
She worked with every section of the group but dedicated most of her scouting to the Beaver scouts (six to eight year olds).
Her departure means that the colony will be without a leader after the summer break - unless a new leader is found then the colony will be forced to close.
District commissioner for Saffron Walden Scout District Andy Player said: “Although Sue will be available to help now and again she finds that due to work and family commitments she no longer has the time to plan, organise and run a full and exciting programme for the youngsters.
You may also want to watch:
“Sue leaving is going to be a great loss to Newport scout group and also to Saffron Walden District but I understand why she needs to do this and I wish her the best in all she does. She will be greatly missed by the youngsters and also the other adults involved with the group.”
Speaking about the Beaver section, Mr Player added: “The section is the fastest growing section in scouting at the moment.
- 1 Tracking Covid at the Sanger Institute
- 2 Awards for pandemic heroes launched
- 3 Buses replace trains while train tracks are replaced
- 4 Electric cars for SMT GB staff
- 5 Quakers ask district council to reverse decision as investment row continues
- 6 Saffron Walden constituency MP on the road map out of lockdown
- 7 Contractors arrive for £1.25m sports facility works
- 8 Council responds to unflattering comments
- 9 Greens and Lib Dems disassociate themselves from investment decision
- 10 Gordon's 'fiver for a jab' fundraiser for NHS
“Waiting lists for the section are growing and I receive around five requests a week for places in Beavers from all areas of the district.
“The loss of a colony is going to have an effect on these lists while we try and find places for the youngsters currently in Newport colony.”
Anybody who feels they could help out can contact Mr Player on DC@saffronwaldenessexscouts.org.uk or 07818725727.
The district is always on the lookout for adults to help with scouting right across the district which has groups in Saffron Walden, Thaxted, Newport, Clavering and Radwinter, and would also like to open groups in other areas within the district.