Newport students perform in The School Proms at the Royal Albert Hall
Ninety students and staff from Newport Free Grammar School took part in a performance at The Royal Albert Hall last week to celebrate The School Proms.
They took part in a mass ensemble performance arranged by ‘Music For Youth’, involving around 600 young people from Essex schools. Students began working on the performance earlier in the year, working with professional musicians who visited the school coaching students on singing and performance.
The performed a piece written especially for the evening by well-known composer Karl Jenkins, called Rondo Latino.
Pupils from every year group took part in the performance, while sixth-form students from Newport had the rare opportunity of performing their own group composition on the evening.
The evening ended with fireworks, balloons and the audience on their feet for a whole-hearted sing of Land of Hope and Glory.
Louise Byrom, head of music at the school, said: “I am passionate about the benefits of singing in schools. What better way to build a sense of community within your school than to get everyone singing together, staff and pupils!
“It happens on the football and rugby stands, everyone ‘coming together’ and the benefits of singing are scientifically proven, it makes us feel good.”
- 1 Wenden Junior Cricket Club embrace new cricket season
- 2 How well do you know the Gibson Library?
- 3 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 4 Saffron Walden draw positives at Witham
- 5 Committee and president appointed for Elsenham WI
- 6 Uttlesford new development could be triple the size of one refused
- 7 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 8 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 9 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 10 School activities and sports in pictures
Headteacher, Gordon Farquhar, added: “It was an exceptionally proud moment for me to see the students performing at the Royal Albert Hall, I am sure this experience will stay with them for life.”