Newport teenager records charity single for Help for Heroes
TEENAGE singing sensation Shakila Karim has had her charity single officially recognised by Help for Heroes.
The 14-year-old singer-songwriter, a pupil at Newport Free Grammar, recorded her song Heroes earlier this month ahead of its electronic release on Monday.
She said the track was dedicated to all the “wonderful people in the armed forces who are true heroes” – many of whom are parents of her fellow classmates stationed at nearby Carver Barracks.
“I appreciate the terrible things they have to do and I also know some of these people are coming back with horrific injuries,” Shakila said.
“I want to help raise as much money as possible for these amazing people who really need a lot of help and support.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve worked hard with some very talented and generous people to release Heroes and I really hope people buy this song as I know it can benefit our injured servicemen greatly.”
The charity’s chief executive and co-founder, Bryn Parry, said: “Help for Heroes is all about ‘doing your bit’ and Shakila’s song is a wonderful example of someone having a good idea, rallying support and having a great deal of fun while they raise money for a wonderful cause.”
- 1 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 2 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 3 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 4 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 5 Church praises members for 'fantastic' Harvest Time generosity
- 6 Jets and Falcons fly out of Stansted after their NFL London showdown
- 7 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 8 There With You This Winter: Uttlesford Foodbank
- 9 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 10 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
Shakila has already released two songs independently this year and also performed at the Stortford Music Festival.
Her charity single will be available on iTunes and Napster from November 28.