Newport teenager records charity single for Help for Heroes
TEENAGE singing sensation Shakila Karim has had her charity single officially recognised by Help for Heroes.
The 14-year-old singer-songwriter, a pupil at Newport Free Grammar, recorded her song Heroes earlier this month ahead of its electronic release on Monday.
She said the track was dedicated to all the “wonderful people in the armed forces who are true heroes” – many of whom are parents of her fellow classmates stationed at nearby Carver Barracks.
“I appreciate the terrible things they have to do and I also know some of these people are coming back with horrific injuries,” Shakila said.
“I want to help raise as much money as possible for these amazing people who really need a lot of help and support.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve worked hard with some very talented and generous people to release Heroes and I really hope people buy this song as I know it can benefit our injured servicemen greatly.”
The charity’s chief executive and co-founder, Bryn Parry, said: “Help for Heroes is all about ‘doing your bit’ and Shakila’s song is a wonderful example of someone having a good idea, rallying support and having a great deal of fun while they raise money for a wonderful cause.”
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 3 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 4 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 5 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 6 Jack Petchey Foundation achievement awards for three Saffron Walden students
- 7 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 8 Care home residents and staff receive Covid-19 vaccine
- 9 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 10 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
Shakila has already released two songs independently this year and also performed at the Stortford Music Festival.
Her charity single will be available on iTunes and Napster from November 28.