Newport teenager records charity single for Help for Heroes
TEENAGE singing sensation Shakila Karim has had her charity single officially recognised by Help for Heroes.
The 14-year-old singer-songwriter, a pupil at Newport Free Grammar, recorded her song Heroes earlier this month ahead of its electronic release on Monday.
She said the track was dedicated to all the “wonderful people in the armed forces who are true heroes” – many of whom are parents of her fellow classmates stationed at nearby Carver Barracks.
“I appreciate the terrible things they have to do and I also know some of these people are coming back with horrific injuries,” Shakila said.
“I want to help raise as much money as possible for these amazing people who really need a lot of help and support.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve worked hard with some very talented and generous people to release Heroes and I really hope people buy this song as I know it can benefit our injured servicemen greatly.”
The charity’s chief executive and co-founder, Bryn Parry, said: “Help for Heroes is all about ‘doing your bit’ and Shakila’s song is a wonderful example of someone having a good idea, rallying support and having a great deal of fun while they raise money for a wonderful cause.”
- 1 New Market Row deli will inspire community spirit, says mayor
- 2 Walden pub reopens after four years
- 3 New pub opens: 'We had almost the whole village, and the one nearby'
- 4 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 5 Application refused for 100 homes on former Friends School site
- 6 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 7 No end of the line in sight for Audley End CrossCountry cancellations
- 8 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 9 Back to the drawing board for Radwinter Road retirement homes
- 10 Audley End Miniature Railway celebrates a lockdown easing sellout
Shakila has already released two songs independently this year and also performed at the Stortford Music Festival.
Her charity single will be available on iTunes and Napster from November 28.