Newport woman on mission to run 40 miles in three races for children’s charity
- Credit: Archant
WHAT’S in a name? Well, about 40 miles for a woman from Newport who is on a mission to raise money for a children’s charity by running exactly that distance over three separate races.
Former Newport Free Grammar student Sarah Fortescue, 25, of Whitehorse Lane, is raising money for Buttle UK, a charity which helps children who are living in poverty in the UK.
Miss Fortescue decided to raise the money after doing some work for the charity. She is aiming to raise £840, enough to fund four beds for children who currently either have to share a bed with their parents or siblings, or have no bed at all.
“Many people have never heard of Buttle UK so they really struggle with funding. They do some fantastic work and I wanted to raise some money but also raise their public profile,” said Miss Fortescue.
“It will be a real challenge because I am not normally a sporty person. But it seemed appropriate to run 40 miles because of my nickname – Forty.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve already run the Edinburgh half marathon and I have to confess that after 10 miles, I was really struggling. But that’s what makes the challenge even greater – it’s not just a one-off.”
The other two races needed to make up the 40 miles will be the Great North Run in September, and the Royal Parks Half Marathon in October.
- 1 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 2 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 3 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
- 4 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 5 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 6 Historic books have new 'long loan' home to help researchers
- 7 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
- 8 It's pumpkin picking season again at Cammas Hall Farm as Halloween approaches
- 9 There With You This Winter: Uttlesford Foodbank
- 10 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
However, that makes just over 39 miles and Miss Fortescue still needs to find the extra one mile. She is considering holding a light-hearted event at Saffron Walden Maze (which is a mile long) wearing fancy dress.
To sponsor Miss Fortescue or for more information, visit justgiving.com/Forty40