Newport woman on mission to run 40 miles in three races for children’s charity
- Credit: Archant
WHAT’S in a name? Well, about 40 miles for a woman from Newport who is on a mission to raise money for a children’s charity by running exactly that distance over three separate races.
Former Newport Free Grammar student Sarah Fortescue, 25, of Whitehorse Lane, is raising money for Buttle UK, a charity which helps children who are living in poverty in the UK.
Miss Fortescue decided to raise the money after doing some work for the charity. She is aiming to raise £840, enough to fund four beds for children who currently either have to share a bed with their parents or siblings, or have no bed at all.
“Many people have never heard of Buttle UK so they really struggle with funding. They do some fantastic work and I wanted to raise some money but also raise their public profile,” said Miss Fortescue.
“It will be a real challenge because I am not normally a sporty person. But it seemed appropriate to run 40 miles because of my nickname – Forty.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve already run the Edinburgh half marathon and I have to confess that after 10 miles, I was really struggling. But that’s what makes the challenge even greater – it’s not just a one-off.”
The other two races needed to make up the 40 miles will be the Great North Run in September, and the Royal Parks Half Marathon in October.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Venue change for Ibiza Anthems Garden Party to Saffron Walden
- 3 Affinity Water to resume water softening in Saffron Walden
- 4 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 5 Updates after person hit by train near Cambridge
- 6 Uttlesford residents help council map 'vital' green spaces
- 7 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 9 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 10 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
However, that makes just over 39 miles and Miss Fortescue still needs to find the extra one mile. She is considering holding a light-hearted event at Saffron Walden Maze (which is a mile long) wearing fancy dress.
To sponsor Miss Fortescue or for more information, visit justgiving.com/Forty40