Newport woman on mission to run 40 miles in three races for children’s charity
- Credit: Archant
WHAT’S in a name? Well, about 40 miles for a woman from Newport who is on a mission to raise money for a children’s charity by running exactly that distance over three separate races.
Former Newport Free Grammar student Sarah Fortescue, 25, of Whitehorse Lane, is raising money for Buttle UK, a charity which helps children who are living in poverty in the UK.
Miss Fortescue decided to raise the money after doing some work for the charity. She is aiming to raise £840, enough to fund four beds for children who currently either have to share a bed with their parents or siblings, or have no bed at all.
“Many people have never heard of Buttle UK so they really struggle with funding. They do some fantastic work and I wanted to raise some money but also raise their public profile,” said Miss Fortescue.
“It will be a real challenge because I am not normally a sporty person. But it seemed appropriate to run 40 miles because of my nickname – Forty.
“I’ve already run the Edinburgh half marathon and I have to confess that after 10 miles, I was really struggling. But that’s what makes the challenge even greater – it’s not just a one-off.”
The other two races needed to make up the 40 miles will be the Great North Run in September, and the Royal Parks Half Marathon in October.
- 1 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 2 IN PICTURES: Elbow's Heritage Live headline concert at Audley End House and Gardens
- 3 IN PICTURES: Simple Minds kick off this year's Heritage Live concerts at Audley End House & Gardens
- 4 Celebrity MasterChef 2022: Saffron Walden's Cliff Parisi battles Chris Eubank in kitchen contest
- 5 'Group of youths' set fire to football ground in Saffron Walden
- 6 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 7 Elbow stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Have your say on plan to build 233 homes in Saffron Walden
- 10 Benkenstein bags six of the best as Essex Eagles thrash Glamorgan
However, that makes just over 39 miles and Miss Fortescue still needs to find the extra one mile. She is considering holding a light-hearted event at Saffron Walden Maze (which is a mile long) wearing fancy dress.
To sponsor Miss Fortescue or for more information, visit justgiving.com/Forty40