Nine fire crews tackle fire at Essex thatched cottage near Saffron Walden
- Credit: Archant
Almost 50 firefighters tackled a thatched cottage which caught alight last night (Monday).
Crews were called to Finchingfield Road, Great Sampford, at 7.30pm and arrived to find 10 per cent of the thatched roof of the cottage was on fire.
By 8.15pm, the flames had spread and about a third of the roof was on fire.
Firefighters started to strip away the roof as well as recover belongings and furniture from the house before they got damaged.
The electricity supply to the street was cut off due to safety concerns.
You may also want to watch:
By 11.18pm, the fire was extinguished.
The crews, from Thaxted, Wethersfield, Saffron Walden, Halsted, Great Dunmow, Leaden Roding and Harlow, remained at the scene for more time, cutting away at the thatch and dampening down the roof to cool down hot-spots.
- 1 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 4 Church praises members for 'fantastic' Harvest Time generosity
- 5 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 6 Jets and Falcons fly out of Stansted after their NFL London showdown
- 7 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 8 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 9 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
- 10 Tributes pour in after death of Essex MP Sir David Amess
Firefighters revisited at 7am this morning (Tuesday) and to ensure the roof was cool.