OAP rescued after chip pan fire breaks out in his Newport home

PUBLISHED: 11:57 10 December 2009 | UPDATED: 22:04 31 May 2010

A PENSIONER had to be rescued by firefighters after a chip pan fire broke out in the kitchen at his Widdington home. The man, believed to be in his 80s, had fallen over in the bathroom and was trapped in his semi-detached bungalow in Hamel Way. Fire crews

A PENSIONER had to be rescued by firefighters after a chip pan fire broke out in the kitchen at his Widdington home.

The man, believed to be in his 80s, had fallen over in the bathroom and was trapped in his semi-detached bungalow in Hamel Way.

Fire crews from Newport and Saffron Walden were called to the scene at around 8.10pm on Wednesday December 9. On their arrival the bungalow was 100 per cent smoke logged.

The man was suffering from smoke inhalation and was given oxygen therapy by crews before being placed in the care of the ambulance service.

Firefighters wore two sets of breathing apparatus and used one hose reel to extinguish the fire by 20.37pm. A specialist fan was used to ventilate the property.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Saffron Walden Reporter. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter