Off-duty firefighter saves man from burning Saffron Walden flat

PUBLISHED: 15:31 29 December 2016 | UPDATED: 15:35 29 December 2016

Fire at Blue in King Street, Saffron Walden, on December 28, 2016. Photo: Archant

Fire at Blue in King Street, Saffron Walden, on December 28, 2016. Photo: Archant

Archant

A man has been left homeless after fire ripped through his first floor flat in Saffron Walden yesterday (Wednesday, December 28).

The man, who was a tenant in the property above women’s clothing boutique Blue, in King Street, is believed to be in his 40s and was taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge for treatment for smoke inhalation. His condition is not thought to be life threatening.

The man was rescued from the burning flat by an off-duty firefighter before crews arrived, according to a tweet from Saffron Walden Fire and Rescue Service this morning.

Fire crews from Saffron Walden and Newport were called to the scene at 10.06am and donned breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze, which was extinguished by 10.41am.

A rapid response vehicle and an ambulance crew from the East of England Ambulance Service also attended and the man was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital.

A fire has broken out at Blue in King Street, Saffron WaldenA fire has broken out at Blue in King Street, Saffron Walden

A spokeswoman for Essex Fire and Rescue Service said: “The flat has suffered extensive damage by the fire and is inhabitable.

“The male occupant suffered smoke inhalation and was left in the care of the ambulance service.”

The spokeswoman added that the cause of the fire had been recorded as accidental.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Saffron Walden Reporter