Olympic Games ambassadors welcome the world to Essex
ESSEX Ambassadors were on hand at Stansted Airport earlier this week to welcome the world to Essex for the London 2012 Olympic Games.
Over the past year, nearly 300 people who live or work in Essex have been recruited by Essex County Council, in partnership with volunteer centres, to act as Essex Ambassadors. The volunteers, who are aged from 16, were drawn from all communities in Essex and will be seen deployed at Stansted from July 27 to 1ugust 14 for the Olympic Games, and August 29 to September 11 for the Paralympic Games.
Cllr Stephen Castle, cabinet member for Education, Lifelong Learning & the 2012 Games, said: “Essex Ambassadors are playing a crucial part in ensuring a warm welcome to athletes, their families and spectators to Essex.”
Tim Hawkins, Stansted Airport’s planning and Olympics director, said: “We look forward to working together with the Essex Ambassadors as they join ‘Team Stansted’ to play a key role at the airport during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.”
During the Olympics and Paralympic events the six Essex Ambassadors will cover a total of 93 shifts from 6am to 9pm daily and will be based at domestic arrivals/departures and international arrivals. Together with the London Ambassadors in arrivals, their main role will be to provide information and guidance to visitors, including London 2012 teams transiting through the terminal on departure after the Games.
During Games time they will be deployed at the main transport hubs across Essex, including Stansted and Southend airports and Harwich International Port, where they will be greeting arrivals, giving general information, (including travel information), and encouraging visitors to come back to the county by handing out Visit Essex promotional materials.
They have already been seen out and about supporting spectators to enjoy the events leading up to the Games, including the recent champion’s journeys for the Sparks will Fly cultural festival and the Olympic Torch Relay.
- 1 Man in court over alleged 'fox-killing' during Puckeridge Hunt
- 2 Stansted Airport and Cambridge trains disrupted after tree falls on tracks
- 3 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 4 Smoke plume in village near Cambridge thought to be car fire
- 5 School activities and sports in pictures
- 6 Artists open up in record numbers for Cambridge Open Studios 2022
- 7 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 8 Dane's 10 day walk home with only a backpack
- 9 Post Office: change of location in Newport
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
• For more information on volunteering and how you can get involved, visit goodforessex.org.