Olympics 2012: Essex artists selected to exhibit in the Houses of Parliament
WORKS of art by artists celebrating the Olympic aspirations of athletes from Essex have been selected to be part of a special exhibition in the Houses of Parliament this summer.
The selected works will be displayed in the iconic setting of Westminster Hall in the Houses of Parliament as part of ‘Arts in Parliament’, a free programme of cultural events taking place in the Olympic year. Parliament is welcoming everyone to come and experience this innovative programme of music, dance, poetry, theatre and visual art, which will include the pieces chosen today from Essex County Council’s ‘Journey to the Podium’ project.
Artists from across the county have been commissioned by Essex County Council to celebrate and capture the achievements of talented athletes who have been identified as having the potential to compete in the London 2012 Games. The artists have produced an eclectic range of work for the project, ranging from painting to sculpture to sound and video pieces which captures the essence of the athletes’ personalities and their sport.
Cllr Jeremy Lucas, Essex’s cabinet member for Environment and Culture, said: “The Journey to the Podium project has been a success since it was first commissioned in 2009. I am so pleased that works from this collection have been chosen to be displayed in Westminster.
“This will give people from all over that world, that are visiting London this summer, the chance to see not only the creative talent from Essex, but also the hard work and dedication of Essex athletes.”
You may also want to watch:
It will be the first time the pieces chosen from Essex County Council’s ‘Journey to the Podium’ project will have travelled outside the county. They will be displayed in the Houses of Parliament from Monday August 13 to Wednesday August 29.
‘Arts in Parliament’ runs from June to September and to find out more go to parliament.uk/artsinparliament
- 1 Walden fire: Resident has died
- 2 Gardeners behind the best-kept Saffron Walden allotments named
- 3 Covid booster vaccinations scheme is rolling out at pace
- 4 Team Max to hold fundraising auction for planned children's hospital
- 5 New solar farm policy 'ducks the main issues', say campaigners
- 6 Runners raise more than £1,500 for Accuro in west Essex
- 7 Food collection and seasonal songs at R A Butler's harvest festival
- 8 English Touring Opera coming to Saffron Hall with rarely performed Handel opera
- 9 Walden war historian on the inspiration behind his latest book
- 10 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages