Olympics legacy: Mountain bike statue to remain on Essex roundabout
AN iconic statue which reminds residents of Essex’s Olympic Games 2012 venue will be staying where it is.
Essex County Council recently asked residents what should be done with the mountain bike statue which has been on The Victoria Roundabout, Hadleigh for the past few months.
The poll was on line at essexlegacy.org and asked whether the statue should remain where it is or be moved to Hadleigh Farm.
The poll has now closed with 73 per cent of respondents being in favour of it remaining on Victoria roundabout,
Essex County councillor Stephen Castle, cabinet member for Education, Lifelong Learning & the 2012 Games, said: “The residents of Hadleigh have voted and the iconic statue will remain on the Victoria roundabout serving as a commemoration of the part Hadleigh played in the London 2012 Olympic Games.”
You may also want to watch:
One resident commented: “I am so proud to be part of an Olympic venue and this reminds [me] every time I see it, it MUST stay.”
This news comes shortly after confirmation that the Olympic mountain bike course will be retained and adapted for use by the public, with Hadleigh Country Park being expanded and enhanced, providing opportunities for people to more fully access, enjoy and appreciate the area’s natural historic environment.
- 1 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 2 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 3 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 4 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 5 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
- 6 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 7 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 8 Church praises members for 'fantastic' Harvest Time generosity
- 9 More Extra Care and retirement homes set for Radwinter Road
- 10 Council to debate 'underperforming' planning service
The plans include a visitors centre, caf�, bike hire shop and network of multi user walking and cycling tracks. These will bring together, and bring to life, the heritage of Hadleigh Farm and Country Park alongside the legacy of the Olympic Mountain Bike course by:
• Retaining and adapting the Olympic Mountain Bike course for use by the public
• Improving the wider network of trails and paths for a range of different users
• Projects to protect and enhance the natural and historic environment
• And improving the facilities for community and visitors to area
For more information on The Hadleigh Legacy Project, see essexlegacy.org.