On yer bikes - first ever cycling cafe in Saffron Walden opens today
- Credit: Archant
The town’s first ever cycling cafe opens today.
Bicicletta - Coffee von Velo is a destination cycling shop and hang-out space at the former Evergreen florist site on Market Walk, Saffron Walden – just doors down from the popular Newdales, which has specialised in all things bicycles for the last 30 years.
“We are trying to target a different area of the market, with more of a focus on cycling apparel,” said founder Christopher Middleton, a cycling enthusiast who has lived in Widdington for 14 years.
“We hope very much it can be a place where people can hang out, have a coffee, watch a bit of the cycling on the big screen,” added Mr Middleton, 48, who also works as a stock broker in London.
The site was hotly contested last year, when pizza chain Domino’s was refused planning permission.
You may also want to watch:
“I followed that with interest, then when it fell through I thought it [Bicicletta] would be a very good fit for the town,” said the father-of-three, who has worked with business consultant Niall Fitzgerald on the project, and hopes to expand the venture to Cambridge in the future.
The café/shop will offer “very good coffee” and a range of snacks for cyclists reaching their destination, as well as visitors to the town who are after a different kind of atmosphere with their cuppa.
- 1 Dedicated children's hospital set for Cambridge
- 2 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 3 An afternoon at the Proms for Mountfitchet House residents
- 4 Minute silence at council meeting for 'kind-hearted' Uttlesford officer
- 5 England call-up for Max Malins after hat-trick in Saracens' demolition of Bath
- 6 First 'building block' of Harlow town centre major regeneration approved
- 7 Fine form continues with seven-up for effervescent Saffron Walden Town
- 8 Last-gasp heartbreak for Saffron Walden against unbeaten Ipswich
- 9 David Walliams’ Gangsta Granny coming to Cambridge stage
- 10 Nursery school faces 'imminent closure' without cash boost
“A group cycling from Lands End to John O’Groats has already been in touch to say they would stop by, and we want to do more with Walden Velo – a club which I’m a member of,” added Mr Middleton, who has concentrated on using local companies for his new project, with Saffron Insurance, Saffron Security and Tees Law among the firms used.
For more information, go to biciclettavelo.com